tomato cage for dragon fruit?

willow1987(8)March 25, 2011

I was wondering if I could use a tomato cage to support my dragon fruit plants once they start climbing

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexcortez(10b)

I think it should work as long as the plant gets enough food. Growers in the area tie it up on a pole wrapped with burlap which can be used for feeding. The top of the pole has a cross. This would make a very easy wood project too. Best.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 9:08AM
willow1987(8)

Thanks Alex. I have them growing in containers since my area has freezes. I was thinking about the pole idea but I was afraid that it may tip over in a pot.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 9:12AM
karyn1(7a)

I'm not sure what the best method is in areas that get cold. I manage to knock half my plant off whenever I move it into the greenhouse for the winter. I don't think a standard tomato cage is big enough but maybe something similar in a bigger size would work. In the meantime I keep breaking my plant so much that I'm lucky if I get 2 fruit a season. lol

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 11:46AM
willow1987(8)

Hi Karyn i guess thats what Im afraid of, knocking it over lol. I've seen a few peoples ideas on here, but I guess I was trying to find something that I wouldnt have to build lol. The only thing I can think of is the pvc idea but I dont know if the pvc would lean if it was supporting a heavy plant in a pot

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 4:06PM
wallisadi

tomatoe cage is metal, weight of plant will cut into the flesh. if you google it, you'll see they all use heavy wood. have a bunch here, finally going in the gound this year, big enough i think.....i hope.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 11:03PM
willow1987(8)

The pots that I will have them growing in are probably 5 gallon pots. I dont know if the pots would support the wood post. Unfortunately I cant plant them in the ground because it freezes here during winter. I just want to be prepared when they start growing

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Dracaena Marginata getting TOO tall
i have a Dracaena Marginata that has grown quite tall...
TJG911
My wee lychee: what does it need
I have a lychee sapling, that I grew from a grocery-store...
tamtrible
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Similar To Cavendishia
What is this? It is similar to Cavendishia. It is epiphytic...
pitter_col
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™