Tropicals or tropical look-alike for zone 6A

AustinGarden(6B)March 20, 2013

I'm moving to Lexington, KY in a few months, and I don't want to give up my tropicals. Will Musa Basjoo (Hardy Banana) survive there? Please give me some tropical or tropical look-alikes!

Thanks,
~AustinGarden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Check out the posts by Arctictropical. He lives near Logan, Utah in Zone 4 and has created an amazing tropical garden, including bananas! You have to see it to believe it. See link to his posts, below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Search results for: arctictropical

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:01AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I always thought Pieris japonica had a tropical look. Are you looking for only hardy entities, or ones for over-wintering as well?

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:54AM
AustinGarden(6B)

Mostly hardy, but I can do a few potted plants.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:51PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hardy stuff... bleeding hearts, Hostas, Clematis, Wisteria, Salvias, climbing/rambling roses, Baptisia, Brunnera, Heuchera... wild/unusual foliage.

Non-hardy stuff: ...That you can store "naked" like Cannas, elephant ears (Colocasia,) Caladiums, Calla lilies, Gladiolus, sweet potato vine are easy if you have a basement or garage against the house.

Lantana, Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus,) Bougainvillea, Mandevilla, others can be brought inside after light frost defoliates them and stored in much less light than a normal house plant would tolerate, small/north windows, middle of a room, basement with shop lights. Ugly but usually works if you don't overwater.

If the house meets the ground/has a basement, against the house can be a microclimate for zone cheating. Mirabilis jalapa (4'o'clocks,) Cannas, Bananas, are commonly reported overwintering in Z 5 & 6 microclimates. There are also big piles of leaves, boxes with Christmas lights, and other tricks used outside.

Things you can grow from seed always help decorate, and keep things interesting and colorful, like Castor bean, hyacinth bean vine, Nasturtiums, Borage, Coleus, Basil, Zinnias. The presence of butterflies always makes things seem more tropical to me. The last 3 I mentioned make flowers prized by butterflies and hummers.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 4:19PM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

HI!

You need to hit up brians botanicals, hes got TONS of great tropicals that he overwinters just down the road from lex.

He doing some amazing stuff with elephant ears!

everything he sells is top notch and you will be within an hours drive of there so you can avoid the shipping and get to see all his plants, its worth the trip

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 1:13PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Here's a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Brianâs Botanicals

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
Brown edges on leaves
My White Bat Plant's leaves are turning brown. What...
copanolady
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™