When to plant canna

statenislandpalm7a(7a)March 6, 2010

When should i start canna indoors. I'm in zone 7a Ny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

I started my canna pretorias this week indoors and some of my other canna bulbs are sprouting now, so I will be planting them soon in pots, or waiting to starting them outside. I usually start them outside in early april and by then they are pushing out there first leaves. Typically I get my first flowers at the end of june or early july and the most flowers occur in late july to mid august. And they LOVE lots of water (rain water in especially) when its hot so that usually makes it bloom a little earlier.

Good luck!

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 12:36AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Cannas are hardy to zone 7 and above - if you plant them in the ground and mulch them, they will spread for you.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 3:47PM
statenislandpalm7a(7a)

Ive tried overwintering them many times they alwys rot by spring

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 7:27PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Me too, I think it has to do with the clay soil, but if mulched well and kept dry, they should make it. I wouldn't risk them all though and since they are easily dug up, I dont mind to.
good luck!

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 12:23AM
ces797(6)

are you sure your zone 7?
staten island is listed as 6 under this link

Here is a link that might be useful: zone finder

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 5:27PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Staten island is a zone 7 and has not approached 0F in many years (I think the last time they were below 5F was in the early 2000's). I just dont think the USDA zone map acknowledges that small of an area or its microclimate. I have seen many zone 7 plants like camellias, crape myrtles, and southern magnolias thrive in the NYC area with no protection, some very old, and they would do poorly in a zone 6. I think of cannas as more zone 8 plants but the winter moisture usually rots them north of that.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 7:43PM
ces797(6)

Yeah I think they may need to re-do those zone maps.
Our lowest temps were in the high teens this year and zone 5b/6a on the zone map is about -10 to -20
and we actually got more snow fall this year than average so not sure what's going on with our climate these days!

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 9:58PM
statenislandpalm7a(7a)

accoding to the arbor day foundation my zipcode 10312 is zone 7. Our winter lows are ussualy between 5-15. this winter we only had 14

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.arborday.org/treeinfo/zonelookup.cfm

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 6:15PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

We are definitely due for a new, more accurate, USDA map.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 8:27PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

I have always found that Canna does better when it's kept in growth all year round and not allowed to go dormant. I also grew it in England that way btw.That is the way it grows here and you can see it in almost every other garden, nearly always in flower. I guess you would need a heated greenhouse for this, however, in your parts. Though you could, as I did, keep it a sunny room inside the house. Watch out for those durn spider mites, however.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 6:41PM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

Cannas need sun and heat, and sprout pretty quickly once the rhizomes are planted so unless you have a sunny spot for them I wouldn't recommend starting them indoors any more than two or three weeks prior to putting them outdoors--in my area, early May.

I'm in a solid zone 7a, maybe even 7b, and cannas have NEVER been hardy for me, although I know plenty of people in my area who claim they overwinter pretty regularly. After losing a couple of choice cannas this way I now dig up at least a few rhizomes in the fall and store them indoors. I store the rhizomes bone-dry in a cool room over the winter; I've never had trouble with either rot or premature sprouting. Some cannas have thin, ropey rhizomes and aren't as reliable this way, but it works quite well for the ones with the big fat rhizomes.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™