German Giant - Freebie at TGS - Opinions Wanted!

yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)February 1, 2012

What do you think of German Giant as compared to Brandywine Sudduths?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigpinks

I havent grown that one but the pictures on Google lend me to think it is more irregularly shaped than Estler Mortgagae Lifter or Bear Paw. I like smooth round tomatoes but most of the big ones usually are not like that. It seems to be a whopping big tomato tho.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 1:55PM
lewski

It was many years ago that I grew GG, but I remember enjoying it. I think the description in the TGS catalog is, like many, an exageration. The size was more in the 1lb. range, and was not as productive as indicated. Still a better yield for me than Sudduth.

It's one I've wanted to grow again, but[sigh], too many hundreds of others out there to try.

Lew

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 6:17PM
largemouth(Z6 NY)

Comparing beautiful heirlooms to each other, eh? That's a tough one, yum.

Picasso to Rembrant, Warhol to Haring?

In the eye of the beholder, yum, right?. Grown both. Both beautiful, but the Giant is the winner.

But, I am the beholder, yum. It is your eye.

Is it a matter of space that you ask, that you can not grow both? I would, and do, grow both.

You can, too. Right? Do it, yum. Know you can. Then you can tell us. I look forward to your results. And to spring, and all our beautiful heirloom tomatoes!

My best, always....

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 11:30PM
garystpaul(4)

Yum, I haven't grown German Giant, but I have tried many a season with Brandywine Sudduth and found it on the whole pretty stingy with its fruit. This past year was better than ever before, but still only about 5 or 6 big ones, all delicious of course. I've also grown Earl's Faux which is very much like Brandywine S. but only marginally more productive��"by which I mean for me in my garden in a particular year. Others may have better experiences with these. This year I'm replacing both of them with Stump of the World, another 'taste-alike' but much more productive or so I'm told. And so it goes....

Let us know what you decide and how it comes out.

Gary

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 12:02AM
suncitylinda

Gary - I like Stump better than the BW Suddaths I have thus far tasted, which I will admit have been few and far between. Prudens Purple is another, MUCH more productive BW wanna be, and ealier for that matter. Taste is great. Linda

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 12:39AM
larryw(z6Ohio)

I'd do about 3 votes to one for Pruden's Purple over both
Suddith's Brandywine and German Giant. In the last couple years, however, I've found Spudakee which I believe is supposed to be a selected cross between a Brandywine and Cherokee Purple. Wow!! This is some fine tasting tomato. And
pretty darn good on the yield too; far better than Brandywine.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 7:34PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

I can't tell you how much I wish I had the space to grow more tomatoes but I live in an HOA and can only grow them behind my courtyard wall.

This fall growing Brandywine OTV and Cherokee Purple. Spring I will try Brandywine Landis and maybe Sudduth, haven't decided.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 10:01PM
naturemitch(3/4 WI)

Hi

We grew it this year and it worked out good for us. I wouldn't call our plant highly productive, but the fruit that came off it were indeed large! The largest fruit was 2 lbs, with a few 1 pounders. Taste was good, ripened early enough for us. Mild tasting, we would use in sauces.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:09PM
tomakers(SE MA Zone 5/6 or ?)

I too prefer Stump of the World over all the brandywines and wannabe's I have grown in many years of tomato addiction. I love Earl's Faux, but SOTW beats it easily for production and it tastes great too.
JMO,
Tom

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 8:58AM
alanleveritt

We got German Giant from TGS this spring and we planted 36, worried that we were wasting valuable space. I was surprised and delighted. It is an early potato leaf variety with huge, delicious red tomatoes. The plants don't last long. Once you get that wonderful burst of tomatoes the vines are the first ones in the garden to die. But we got really large, productive, great tasting tomatoes that sold at the farmers market for $4 lb. That is roughly $4 per tomato.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Red Robin, Snow Fairy, Tiny Tim in indoor hydroponics
I'm trying these three varieties primarily because...
delaware
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
Sponsored Products
German Shepherd Wrapped Canvas
$56.99 | zulily
No Drilling Required Grab Bars Gripp 24 in. x 1-1/2 in. Grab Bar in Polished
$81.96 | Home Depot
Moooi | Dear Ingo Chandelier
YLighting
Otto Wall Sconce by SONNEMAN Lighting
$210.00 | Lumens
Artehouse Dachshund Green Wooden Wall Art - 20W x 14H in. - 0004-1969-26
$64.99 | Hayneedle