Colocasia with spots, variegated

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, ALApril 26, 2012

Couldn't resist buying one of these bulbs and it is sprouting polka-dot leaves. Cool! The plain green ones are perennial here. I'm wondering if there's any reason not to expect this variegated one to be OK in the ground for winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

should be fine if you mulch over it.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 11:12PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Sounds good, thanks for the response! I'm excited, the first leaf is fairly large, about 7-8" and very pretty. I hope this multiplies like the plain ones.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 10:12AM

This elephant ear is coming up and it does have spotted leaves. Love it!!! Probably a little too close to the plain one... will see how many leaves come out...

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 9:45AM
eloise_ca

Congrats! Did it come with a name? Hard to tell, but it might be alocasia 'Hilo'. Your Persian Shield also looks great.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 9:53AM

Well this discussion has some kind of gremlin. I've responded twice and it keeps disappearing. Don't know why the last photo quit working.

Thanks for the compliment on the PS - my fav purple plant! Hilo sounds familiar but I couldn't say if that's because I read it on the tag or have read it on WWW sometime before. Loving these spots on this elephant ear!

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 12:31PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

It looks like you have one named 'Hilo Beauty'. I live in zone 8b in NW Florida and it isn't hardy here. You may need to dig and store it over the winter.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 12:47PM

Thanks for the tip!

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 4:32PM
eloise_ca

purpleinopp, if you deleted the photo elsewhere, it will delete it here as well. Just a thought.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 9:18AM

I thought of that, but pretty sure I didn't. Any kind of brain fart is possible, though. Thanks!

Three pretty leaves now:

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 11:18AM

A 4th leaf now.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 1:21AM
tropicbreezent

That looks like a Caladium to me, C. bicolor.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 12:12AM

Thanks, tropic! This bulb was (is) as big as a softball and the leaves are BIG. Google didn't have any images of C. bicolor that looked the same to me. Couldn't find any showing the stems clearly to compare that, they're very dark colored on this plant.

Alocasia "Hilo beauty" is the most likely suggestion I think.

That's the top of a 5-gallon bucket under this leaf.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 5:20PM
tropicbreezent

In the correct sense there is no Alocasia "Hilo beauty". That plant is also a sometimes misnamed Caladium, C. praetermissum. But it does look like some of my C. bicolor. The number of named varieties of Caladium bicolor is over 1000.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 2:20AM

In the correct sense there is no Alocasia "Hilo beauty". Thanks for the input, but what does this mean?

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 8:53AM
tropicbreezent

Some nurseries still sell it under the name Alocasia "Hilo beauty". But it's a Caladium and not an Alocasia. So you can buy an Alocasia "Hilo beauty", but correctly what you have is a Caladium. Many nurseries aren't particularly concerned with names, they just want to sell the plant. As in many parts of the world, we still have Zamia vasquezii sold as Zamia fischeri. Also Philodendron bipinnatifidum sold as P. selloum. Even though the errors are commonly known, many wholesalers/nurseries won't correct the labels.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 2:38AM

Thanks! Hmm... Do you mean it has been renamed? This plant is 4x as big (height, leaf size) as any Caladium I've seen. If it doesn't like as much moisture as Colocasia, maybe I should move it. It seems happy though.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 8:42AM
tropicbreezent

Just incorrectly named. If you google it, you'll find, scattered in amongst the sites still using the incorrect name, others giving the explanation about the correct ID. There's some interesting reading from people who get quite pedantic about correct names.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 4:04AM

So this plant has been renamed?

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 7:14AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Hi Purple,

Did it come back for you yet?

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 8:34PM

Hi Carol. No sign of it yet, but had 3 frosts this week. No sign of any Caladiums yet...
- Tiffany

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:56AM
tropicbreezent

Thought this thread looked familiar. I must have missed your last question Purple. This plant wasn't "renamed" as it hadn't been scientifically named. As I recall, the bloke who found the plant was working for a nursery (a plant "hunter") and found it in South America. He apparently wasn't too cluey, not knowing Alocasia (or Colocasia) don't come from South America. So he sent it back to the nursery as an Alocasia. They propagated it and for marketing purposes added a Hawaiian tag to it. When the taxonomists got to it they described and named it as a Caladium. Some nurseries realised it didn't look like an Alocasia but still erroneously tagged it as a Colocasia.

We have an Epipremnum (native) here which had been Raphidophora. When I suggested to a taxonomist it had been renamed he was quite definite is was the correction of an error by the original taxonomist, the plant should never have been described as a Raphidophora. Apparently that's only when key characteristics of a genus become more refined or changed so that some plants then fall outside the new parameters and they're renamed. They (taxonomists) can be quite pedantic.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 9:05PM

Hey, thanks for the explanation! That's fairly different than a "regular renaming." I might be struck by the mood to say more about that later, not feelin' it right now, and not enough time.

Just hope it comes back up...! The other Caladiums have so far, since I put them in a few years ago. Hard to say about this big one yet, with all of the Oxalis in that area, and no sign of any Caladiums yet. Knowing it's not a Colocasia is soothing, which definitely should/would be visible by now.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:34PM
tropicbreezent

That's the thing with Alocasias and Colocasias, they just seem to come up and get on with the business of growing. Caladiums can be such tempermental prima donnas.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:01AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Caladiums are not hardy in my 8b, NW Florida yard - I have to take them into the greenhouse when the weather turns cold - around 40 degrees.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™