prune shell ginger?

topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)April 19, 2012

My variegated shell ginger is pitiful after a winter indoors...should I cut it way back or stake up the wimpy branches and live with the brown tip leaves until it puts out new canes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

prune them, they grow back pretty quick with lots of sun and warm temps

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 12:52AM
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Understand that this ginger flowers on second year growth so if you cut the stalks off, you will not see blooms this year. If the stalks are still producing new leaves, you could trim the ugly leaves off the stalk. This is the time of year here on the Gulf Coast when Alpinias start to produce flowers.

Steve

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 8:39AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

"they grow back pretty quick with lots of sun"

I thought this was a shade plant?

Thanks,
Carol

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 11:16PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

my mom has had a shell ginger for over 10years here in Houston, its been growing in full sun, i spreads fairly fast and needs to be cut back every few years. her's isnt variegated tho, so may be a difference.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:54PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

some extra info

http://www.hawaiiantropicalplants.com/ginger.html

Alpinia zerumbet Common Name: Shell Ginger. The green leaved form is more robust and blooms readily. Blooms are more abundant in the summer and fall. Full sun to medium shade.

Alpinia zerumbet Variegata Yellow and green striped foliage. The variegated form is mostly grown for the ornamental foliage. The green leaved form is more robust and blooms readily. Full sun to medium shade.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 4:10PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

went to my parents' house earlier this week. noticed their shell ginger had flowered. i asked my mom if it had been pruned or not. she said my dad cut them down during the winter, b/c of frost damage. a few months and they grew back and flowered. those are about 4' tall now, by mid summer they'll be about 7-8' tall.

my mom got a piece of root from a co worker almost 20 years ago, i remember planting it. about 7-8 years ago i dug out about half of the root system b/c it had spread too much in the flower bed.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™