Palm tree ans tropical plant placement

Marcv76April 27, 2013

Hellow everyone. I am trying to give my front yard a tropical feel. I currently have three queen palms. I have been thinking about giving the queen palms to a friend and replacing them with Foxtail Palms because they will grow to a more proportional height for a one story house. I then wanted to mix in some ti plants and variage large leafy foliage and a Plumaria. Does anyone have a opinion on what you would do with this front yard? Should I keep the queens where they are and just add to them instead? Maybe the height contrast of different palms would be better. Im looking for stuff that would also grow up higher than the wall to form a privacy barrier. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
How do foxtails do in your area?? They are far more sensitive than queens and get larger and more dense at least in my area. They are self cleaning unlike queens
I think I'd keep the queens and underplant with crotons.
A gazillion forms and colors to chose from and can be kept at any height. Plumerias can get very large ,are deciduous and difficult to prune Maybe a standard Crane flower, bird of paradise?? Strelitzia reginae. They clump in a very tight circle ,evergreen and have those fantastic non scattering flowers. gary

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 6:07AM
wanna_run_faster

The queens are fast growing and nothing quite looks like a health queen for a beautiful tropical appearance. Given that, like Gary said they are NOT self cleaning and have to be trimmed which becomes increasingly more difficult as the tree continues to grow.

I loved my queens while I had them but I swore the next house / time around I would never plant any palm that was not self-cleaning.

I also had plumeria in the front of the house and 6 months of the year they were bald sticks, the other 6 they were covered in rust. I like them but on the side or back of the house.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:59PM
jjdcl

I would keep the queen palms and plant something smaller so you have varying heights. Pygmy dates would look great.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:57AM
tropicbreezent

You probably need to look around and see what's growing well in your area and that suits your plans. You could end up with a lot of suggestions but some of them might be impractical for some obscure reason.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 5:57PM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

triangle palms might be a better option than foxtails. They like a Californian climate.
Check this out http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/23082-the-darold-petty-garden/

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 2:07AM
More Discussions
Worsleya Procera seeds
I have been looking for Worsleya Procera seeds for...
jadesga1
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™