Roebelenii Palm Trees with fungus/algae

Scotty0613April 5, 2013

I have some tall & beautiful Roebelenii Palm Trees in my front yard that are growing a lot fungus/algae (bluish-green) on the trunks.

Anything I can buy to safely kill the fungus/algae?

Thanks,
Scotty13
In S. Florida

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianbrazil(11)

It sound as if the insects are the main problem. Fungus/algae is not usually a problem on palms unless humidity is extreme. For the critturs spray the whole tree, including leaves with appropriately diluted Neem Oil. It is a systemic toxin for a wide range of insects and completely harmless otherwise. Good luck. - Ian.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:58PM
Scotty0613

@iangrazil - Thank you so much for the information on the Neem Oil. I applied the N.O. on my RoebeleniiâÂÂs yesterday afternoon.

Q. There is quite a bit of fungus on the tree trunks. How many times would you recommend me applying N.O. on the trunks?

Thanks again,
Scott

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 7:37AM
ianbrazil(11)

I've never had a problem with fungus on palms, so I can't really answer your question. Neem does not need to be applied very often, however. I find that twice a year is sufficient, unless there is any sign of trouble. You might need to apply it more often initially, say, repeat the treatment a month later, then keep up a "maintenance dose". Neem is better for insect control in general, though it is also a fungicide. If it doesn't work try Captan. This is a lot more toxic, however. Good luck. - Ian

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™