manila mango

mangos4me(9)April 14, 2013

I'm thinking of buying a manila mango seedling tree from Lowe's. Trying to resist impulse to go buy it right away. Need more assurance of survivoral and fruit production. Can anybody help? Live in Central Valley Calif, has long periods of winter season with frequent winter frost. If purchased will have it in container not ground. Sales rep. says it's about 2 yrs old (plant) may start flowing on 3rd yr. Plant doesn't look 2 yrs old more like one cuz of soft & fragile stem. Just tall, slender, bottom stem not hardy still green like green shoot. Should I get it or pay extra for grafted ones? Is it even worth it in my areas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nelsoncastro

The Manila mango trees perform best in warm climates. Grow Manila mango trees in full sun sites with nutrient-rich, well-draining soil. Work 3 inches loam, 2 inches peat moss, 2 inches leaf mold and 1 inch perlite into the soil to a depth of 10 to 12 inches to improve its nutrition, aeration and drainage. Plant your Manila mango tree at the same depth it grew in its nursery container.

Provide Manila mango trees with ample moisture during the spring and summer months to ensure the production of healthy fruit. Water your Manila mango trees every seven to 10 days to maintain evenly moist soil; apply up to 2 inches of water each time you irrigate.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mangos4me(9)

Thank you so much for the info. What if I were to use a much much larger container and do the same process as you stated above, like you're going to plant it in the ground? Is it safe to dig up the roots when moving it to a different location? I heard mango trees are very sensitive when it comes to their roots.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
Blue Ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora)
Around this time of the year, the Blue Ginger blooms...
siegel2
Soursop - seedling or grafted?
For those of you who have tasted soursop, I wanted...
cattman
Can you help me ID this vine/climber?
Hello, I got this plant last year from a very lovely...
dubai-gardener
Sponsored Products
Alpine Furniture Albany 7 Piece Dining Set with Optional Server - ALPE202
Hayneedle
Mango Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Marino 3 Drawer Console
Overstock.com
Wine country party tray
Origin Crafts
Brooklyn Pendant by Troy Lighting
$604.00 | Lumens