stephanotis

steelskies(5)April 26, 2013

I bought this vine at Home Depot the other day. My first job was at a greenhouse that had a huge stephanotis vine growing in their greenhouse and it smelled wonderful when it was blooming. They used the flowers in bridal bouquets.

Does anyone else grow these and what do I have to know about these vines in particular. We are in WI but I do have a greenhouse that I keep plants over winter. I know these need warm weather.

Are there different kinds? I don't see the blooms opening up yet, but maybe they don't? they just stay in the tubular form?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianbrazil(11)

Stephanotis comes from Madagascar. It's an easy plant to grow if you can keep it warm all the year round ( min 50F) . Likes bright light ,mine is in almost full sun. Sometimes they won't flower if overfed. Mine just gets wood ash once a year. Good luck. Ian.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:12PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

The blooms will open. Ian is correct - they need FULL, hot sun to do well and absolutely NO COLD temps. In the fall, you can trim it back without doing harm.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:57AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I have this vine and it seems to like the roots cool and the rest in sun. Mine gets a wee bit of late afternoon shade and blooms beautifully. I have it in Miracle Grow and perlite with a little extra peat mixed in. It seems to like a little xtra acidity. Let dry out a little between watering. I have seen Hawk/Hummingbird moths on the blossoms in the evenings.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:03PM
steelskies(5)

Well my stephanotis blooms never opened, and just fell off. I went back to the Home Depot where I bought this, and saw that all the other plants had done the same thing. None of the plants had blooms anymore, and none of them had opened up. I usually go to HD twice a week looking for certain annuals (that haven't come in yet). So I was monitoring these stephanotis pretty closely.

Its been in my greenhouse in warm weather, and the HD plants are in the store where it is warm.

Darn! I really like this vine and the blooms smell heavenly.

Maybe these are like gardenias? All the blooms seem to fall off before they fully open.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:57PM
houstonpat(9a)

Sultry night is right. Cool roots. Mine blooms fine under 50% shade cloth in Houston. My brother's bloomed just fine under dappled shade in Waipahu.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Albuca spiralis seeds
Hello! Does anyone know from where can I get Albuca...
xylocyb
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™