Anyone grow giant horsetail plants in So Cal?

tony_la(21 Sunset ZN)April 25, 2006

I recently purchased a giant horsetail plant and am wondering how it might fair in the ground in Southern California. I had seen it grown in greenhouses at a botanical garden and the full grown plants are very impressive. I believe the plants were over 10 ft tall with whorls of small branches (just like the drawings with dinosaurs). Any info would be great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hanwc(Malaysia)

Hi Tony,

Do you mean Equisetum telmateia? Which nursery you get it from?

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 12:23AM
tony_la(21 Sunset ZN)

The plants are labeled Equisetum myriochaetum. I purchased the plant at a nursery in Santa Barbara. I do not have the name of the nursery with me, but can get it off of the reciept in a few days.

Thanks for any info on cultivation in So Cal.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 6:50PM
eveningstar(z 10 Ca)

I haven't grown it, but I saw Equisetum myriochaetum on my trip to Veracruz last year. I was impressed. I imagine it could do well here, if you can protect it from our dry winds, and keep it in a moist situation.

That nursery must have been something! :-)

E~*

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 6:30PM
florey

Giant horsetails, the thugs, on steroids? Be mighty careful where and how you plant them, & let us know if your house disappears (LOL). They are so Cool looking!

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 9:14PM
baci(z10Ca)

I suggest a pot. I grow another variety of horsetail but I use a pot. They can become very invasive & hard to get rid of in the ground. They also reproduce by spores, although mine has not so far. Horsetail does not like transplantation, but once established does fine.
I believe the one you specified is native to Mexico so it should do OK.

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 5:35AM
debbysunshine(san diego)

I went to google and looked up that plant and it is huge and looks to get pretty evassive. I have huge plumes which I've tried to control many times but their seeds just blow everywhere and they take over and I never want to see another evasive plant.. Maybe in a large pot you can control the spread of this plant because I bet it is really nice looking by itself..

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 5:54AM
eric_9b(z9b Orlando)

Anyone know of a source for giant horsetail? It is hard to find other species other than E. hymale and E. scirpoides.

Eric
Orlando,FL z9b/10a

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 8:48AM
sputnikfarm

I just saw some form of horsetail at Green Mart in Orange a couple of weeks ago.

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 6:42PM
unautre(8B San Antonio TX)

"looks to get pretty evassive"

so they are hard to find and get a hold of?

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 10:38PM
baci(z10Ca)

I saw a giant horsetail growing in the Rancho Santa Ana botanic garden in Claremont recently. It was about 6Â tall or taller, and was growing in the ground near a pond. It was invasive, but did quite well in the So CA climate. Since they grow natives it was probably Equisetum telmateia - Equisetum myriochaetum is native to Mexico.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 9:09AM
seven

I would be very interested in buying an Equisetum giganteum or myrochaetum! Does anybody know a source were one could get some (nursery, botanical garden)? Like toni 1a wrote, may be there are a few nurseries selling some!

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 7:08AM
mdnez_ent_gmail_com

I have a contained wetland pond in da Marigny Triangle of New Orleans and need a Equisetum Telmateia to complment a recently rescued old cycad. Anyone selling?

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 6:51PM
stanofh

I've grown them in a greenhouse-they will never become impressive in pots..not unless you use huge 36" or more.They need much root run. I wouldnt worry about them being too invasive in souccal..they need lots of water. Where you dont water is a natural barrier. They are great companion plants for tree ferns and Gunnera,aroids like Colocasia and Alocasia. In the Berkeley Botanical Garden greenhouse they have E.gigantium..and its a show plant.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
Brown edges on leaves
My White Bat Plant's leaves are turning brown. What...
copanolady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™