Length of harvest vs hardiness for avocado

glib(5.5)January 15, 2014

I am posting this for a friend in Zone 9B, with plenty of space for trees. She is still collecting info about historical temperatures at her site, but she feels that in her 15 years there temps never dropped below 25F.

That is plenty warm for Mexicola and other types of Persea americana, but all these crop in Aug.-Sept., leaving ten months without avocados. Hass has six months harvests, but is a Persea Indica. Anyone has any idea how to plant an avocado grove in Zone 9B that offers six months crops?

and secondarily, how to sneak in at least one type B? They eat mostly food they produce (they have 40+ olive trees, fruits, a big garden, and chickens and rabbits), and eat no grains, so for them this is a lot of help. Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)

Hey Glib, since no one has tackled this, I'll offer my input. Below is a link of avocado varieties and their crop times. Carmen Hass fruits 3 times a year, though that's going to be harder to find and I don't know the temps. Looks like Sir Prize (B flower) and Stewart (A flower) could be a good addition. Sir Prize is particularly heavy bearing from what I've heard. 4 varieties should give output nearly year around. Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado temps

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glib(5.5)

Many thanks! this is what I needed. I googled many avocado sites, but this one bests them all.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™