Pugged Hong Kong Orchid

sun_worshiper(FL 9b)January 23, 2011

Not a fruit tree, but thought you might enjoy my first attempt at "pugging" a tree.

Despite the weather being a bit iffy, I couldn't hold my Hong Kong Orchid dormant any longer. It was sending out new shoots all over the place. So I went for a drastic shaping prune. When I bought it, it had been tipped over in the nursery too long and a side branch had become the dominant shoot. Not an ideal specimen, but it was the only one small enough to fit in my car=) So this year I am going to attempt to make a nicely formed tree out of it. So here we go:

The "before" note the side shoot that is bigger than the main trunk, and the very spindly main trunk that is 6+ feet tall:

And the "after" - I made the pruning cut at about 3'. Just below the side shoot that was too dominant, and above a very well placed new sprout that I will train to become the new central leader.

My hope is that I can channel all the growing energy this season into creating a well formed trunk.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mango_kush

theyre pretty vigorous growers. which color and species Bauhinia is it? I love them, Im planting a silk floss in my front swale when im finished with my front yard.

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 6:45PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hey SunW...best of luck with your tree, I bet it takes off in the Spring. Keep us posted...can't wait to see it once it gets growing!

Bookmark   January 24, 2011 at 7:43AM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

This is a Bauhinia blakeana. It is a grafted tree that I got from Excalibur. The graft is about a 1/3 of the way up the "after picture" of the trunk. I sought out the grafted type so that it wouldn't set seed pods. It flowered this year, but got nipped by frost before I had a chance to find out if any seed pods set. I got it for the flowers - they are so gorgeous!

There is a big specimen and Disney, so I'm hopeful that if I protect it from frost for a couple years and work on forming a good stout trunk that it can get big enough to survive on its own as a large tree=)

Bookmark   January 24, 2011 at 9:44AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

That is one gorgeous bloom! I wish you the best with it.

Bookmark   January 24, 2011 at 6:47PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Now that it's been a couple months, figured I'd post an update on this tree. It has taken well to the drastic pruning and is growing vigorously. The new shoot I selected to become the central leader is already 3/4 the diameter of the trunk it is sprouting out from.

Here it was when it was just starting to grow:

And here it is today:

It is currently around 5' tall and growing rapidly.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 3:42PM
jacob13

Wow,

Your tree has really taken off and is really growing quite nicely. Looks like your Pugging paid off. Good Job and a Brave soul.

- Jacob

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 4:10PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Thanks Jacob!

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 3:49PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hi SunW...I hope you don't mind but I wanted to share some pictures of my Pugged Desert Rose. I've noticed that some plants take very well to this type of pruning...Jades do well with it too!

I did this this January...

Taken today...

Pugging Its not just for Mango trees anymore,lol...

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 2:09PM
amrkhalido

Amazing tree pug1vr1 , its just the perfect size and shape.

Amr

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 3:19PM
nullzero(9)

I recently pugged my yellow strawberry guava tree. The trunk was to long and narrow to support a good canopy. It is now looking pretty good.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 3:21PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Wow - that is so cool puglvr! What a beautiful result. I just love the juxtaposition of the massive, knarled trunk and the delicate blooms.

Since I started the thread, I'll open up the floor for anyone else who wants to show off pictures of a tree they have pugged=) It is so fun to see other people's results! I'd love to see a picture of your guava nullzero.

I don't have an updated pic, but my tree is growing crazy fast. The central leader is up over my head already around 6-7' now! I want that tree to be an "avenue" tree eventually reaching a full grown size of around 25', so the growth is great. Now it has a nice upright trunk to start the scaffolding of the rest of the tree.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 3:51PM
nullzero(9)

I can update with a picture this weekend. I cut it down to about a 2ft tall trunk, with one primary stem.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 4:59PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

God Pugsly - your pugged desert rose is wicked pretty!

Is it going to stay a bonsai type plant....or you going to let it grow - guess it's been in that pot for a few decades, eh????

lol......mangofurball

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 9:06PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Amr, SunW and Mangodog!! Appreciate it!

Looking forward to that picture Nullzero...

MD, lol...I've only had that Desert Rose appx. 6 years?? I trim it often because I want to keep it in that same pot for as long as possible...I've trimmed the roots twice since I've had it. I wish I could find a NICE shallow bonsai type pot for it but I live in a pretty small town and the selection just isn't here...and I don't want to pay a lot for shipping...so I'll keep looking.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 10:09AM
nullzero(9)

Puglvr,

Here is that picture of the Yellow Strawberry Guava. I cut it down to about a 2ft section, the tree was about 4ft tall originally. From April 30, 2011

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 9:06PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Great picture nullzero. Looks like it is growing strongly, will be fun to see how much it grows this year!

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 5:10PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks for the picture Null...looks like its doing well! Best of luck!

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
Help with longan in pot
My longan in a pot which I put in the greenhouse about...
vanman23
emperor lychee arrived, white new leaves???
I just got my emperor lychee today from plant o gram....
Jesse Machuca-Vega
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Papaya wasp help
I'm on the Fla Treasure Coast and my papaya tree /...
tcgardener
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Sponsored Products
Vig Furniture - Orchid Modern Black Sofa - VGKK1323-BLK
Great Furniture Deal
Hong Kong Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$119.99 | zulily
Big Wave Purple Round Outdoor Folding Table
Euro Style Lighting
Nameeks | Kong Vessel Sink 8054
$1,064.00 | YBath
Set of 4 Zuo Silvermine Outdoor Purple Bay Chair
Euro Style Lighting