How are hybrids produced commercially?

KCKookMarch 23, 2012

I do understand how to breed tomatoes on a small basis, but how the heck do they do it for the popular commercial hybrids? I rather doubt there's someone out there pinching off the anther cone & later pollinating a single flower. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Below is one link to commercial production of F1 hybrids, but there's several points that need to be made.

Yes, you start with two inbred lines to make the first cross and all that, but there are usually two lines that are used, let's call them A and B.

Within each line certain genes are introduced for uniform ripening, high solids and genes for tolerance to certain diseases, etc.

There can be up to four parental inputs in each line. Then they take the last one in line A and cross it with the last one in line B and that gives the F1 hybrid seeds.

Much commercial F1 seed is produced in countries where labor is cheap so yes, they still have to go through emasculation of the blossoms. But starting many years ago increasingly male steriles are used so you dont have to do the emasculation.

The info about the exherted stigma being found with potato leaf varieties is not correct as many of us who have grown hundreds of PL varieties have found. But it's info that has been in the literature almost forever and just gets repeated as does the info about lack of Ca++ in the soil, with two exceptions, being the cause of Blossom End Rot.

I'm sure there are other links for the info given below but this is the one I happen to have in my faves and does illustrate bulk production of F1 seed.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrids

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™