Help me choose full size potted mango tree....

tyler1121January 23, 2014

Hi all im a few years in and cant get enough trees. I have a pickering and a carrie, both potted. I was reading another thread where someone recomended buying a full size mango tree in addition to "condo" trees. Which sounded like a great idea since I was recomended to not harvest my dwarf trees for 2 years. :-(

So please help me pick a new full size mango tree which will be potted and kept indoors till summer time greenhouse/sunroom in winter, I also plan on keeping this tree a bit bigger at 8-10' tall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmichael258(9a)

Maybe a Maha Chinook, Lemon Zest or Sweet Tart?????

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:00PM
tyler1121

By chance do you have any potted experience with any of these?

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:35AM
cmichael258(9a)

I have the MC and LZ; however, both were 7 gal. purchased this Summer and are not very large. I did buy both with the intention of leaving in pot for at least a few years (and perhaps permanently).

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 6:10PM
tyler1121

Sounds good. Did you get any fruit last year? I plan on getting a 7 gal too this summer. Im just not sure which one. To be compleetly honest I will probably end up just getting 2 more for a total of 4 POTTED mango trees! I'll order from pune island nursery so far im definitely getting a glenn and looking at another that I think ill realy like. Im concidering the golden nugget. Any input of either of these?

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 4:35PM
cmichael258(9a)

No fruit from either tree. I want them to get larger before I do and the LZ has been a very slow grower. Good luck with the
additional 2.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 7:20PM
tyler1121

Thanks. Good luck to you as well.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 11:18AM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

Tyga - my humble opinion is that the Gold Nugget is not a top tier mango! I have one though (but in the ground) I've never tasted it's fruit, but from what I've read there are better choices.

I think just about any tree can remain in a pot with proper pruning - both root and canopy.. Maha Chinok, Glenn, Lemon Zest are all good....Pina Colada, Coconut Cream maybe....I love Kent and Keitt as well....so many good varieties out there.... not sure you can really go wrong with whatever you pick, including Gold Nugget.....

Good Luck....MDog

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 11:29PM
tyler1121

Thanks for the info Mdog.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™