Epiphyllum help

epl_92(7)April 23, 2008

It looks like it is pretty sad so any ideas on how i can take better care of it or how to make it bloom... I barely watered it over the winter and have had it in bright indirect sunlight...also should i repot/prune it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

In winter I always water mine when dry. How long has it been in that pot? What do you do with it over summer?

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 8:28AM
birdsnblooms

Epl, it looks sunburned. Since you're in z6, your Epi's been indoors all winter. IMO, the area you set in is too bright, (for starters)
It's a nice-looking plant though. Maybe you should place in a little less sun for the time being. Toni

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 2:38PM
epl_92(7)

it has been in that pot as far as i know for its entire life and during the summer i put it on my deck and water it regularly.... How would i get it to flower next year?

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 6:13PM
altadenamara

You might want to prune off the dead parts of leaves. It probably needs re-potting, but that might delay the flowering for a year or two. It may need more water over the winter, since they should never be allowed to dry out completely. Fertilize in February/November with a 0-10-10 fertilizer. In March, start fertilizing monthly with a balanced fertilizer, like a 10-10-10, and no fertilizer December/January. Some epis will bloom in bright shade, but others do better with a few hours of morning or late afternoon sunshine. If you divide it into two pots, try both, and see which gives the best results. Epiphyllum are some of my favorite plants: east to care for, will put up with a lot of neglect, and have gorgeous blooms. Good luck with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiphyllum Care

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™