coffee - leaves yellowing

paradisi(Sunshine Coast)May 12, 2008

does anyone have experience with coffee plants

mine has the edges of the leaves turning yellow

is this similar to magnesium shortage in citrus??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
growerman(Z4)

I have that with my coffee too. I took the roots that had grown into the water out. That didn't help. And just yesterday, I watered them with coffee to lower the Ph and get more iron up in the leaves. I will see how this helps in a few days....

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 6:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Living in zone 5, Coffee trees are not the easist plants to grow, but for the last 4 yrs, I've had the same plant, from a little 7" plant, to 3'.
When I repotted I used African Violet soil, a little All Purpose, Peat, handful of sand and handful of Perlite. Coffees need acidic soil. If alkaline, leaves can yellow..One to two times a year, it gets a dose of iron. I also fertilize with an acidic fertilizer. (For Acid loving plants during growing season.)
I allow soil to dry a little between watering..they don't like soggy soil. Water thoroughly, but let dry between, (if grown in a container) Overwatering can cause yellow leaves, too.
Because of dry air, it gets misted daily and a wkly shower. Coffee trees do not like hot, dry air..keep cool in winter...they love a summer outdoors..Toni

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™