tropical plants

jeffnguilMay 15, 2013

what tropical plants [or look a likes] or hardy for z6a cincinnati ? i am near the river [3 blocks].

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Jeff, none that I know of. They would all need to be kept above 40 degrees - do you have a warm area to store them over the winter?

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:59AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

There are all kinds of interesting plants for up north, I used to live in OH. Not sure if you have shade or sun, what size plants you want, but there's... Wisteria, Dicentra (bleeding hearts,) Pieris, Baptisia, Brunnera, Alchemilla, Polygonatum, Thalictrum, Heuchera, ferns, staghorn sumac, bottlebrush buckeye, Hostas, Hisbiscus syriacus (rose of Sharon,) ginger, not to mention all of the bulbs that can be stored dormant in a basement... elephant ear, Cannas, Gladiolus, Dahlia, Caladium.

Musa bananas are known to overwinter where you are with a little extra care, this guy's doing it. I lived in central OH and had Mirabilis jalapa against the basement wall on the west side, which survived for years and the tuber was moved to AL and is still doing great. A friend a few blocks away had perennial Cannas around her brick patio, for about 15 years until I moved down here.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 5:51PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Jeff, thought of this post when I saw this.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 10:51AM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

With some carful selection you can many tropicals around here!
You should check out briansbotanicals hes not for from and totally worth the trip, for inspiration alone, not to mention after your inspired he will sell most of the stuff there to you.
elephant ears cannas palms cacti bananas the list goes on and on, but you must select carfully most tropicals are marginally hardy here at best, but theres a few of us that are trying...I dig and store most of mine but some stay out, lots will this year im over run!
its late, if you need more advice email me and I can help more, Its possible i wont check this thread for some time...

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 1:14AM
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)

Brian Williams (Brians Botanicals has zone 6 hardy colocasia.

Also you could grow Musa basjoo, tetrapanix (rice paper plant) huge leaves, Needle palm, and possibly some eucalyptus.

If you want more info email me directly bocajoe@comcast.net

Boca Joe

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™