help with tomatoes

lisa252(8)March 22, 2014

Hi all, I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this. about 20 years ago I grew the most flavorful acidic tomatoes based on the instructions of an elderly man at the grocery store. Here is what I did.
I planted the tomatoes in plain old potting soil (or vermiculite-he said either would do) and I did all their watering with a product called nutrisol. Those tomatoes were beyond good. We dried them and my husband made the best lasagna from them-me and my aunt talked about those tomatoes and lasagna for years. Well, years ago I scoured the net looking for nutrisol and it appears it went out of business and I have no idea what the formulation of it was. it was some kind of 3 number formula like 10-10-10 but I don't remember what! Can anyone help? I believe I had just bought regular old tom plants but do not remember the type. I want to say it was better boy but just not sure. However, I really think the process had more to do with it than the variety. Can anyone help? Anyone remember nutrisol? Any idea of formulations to mimick it? Thank you for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Nutri-Sol was an early hydroponics high N and very high K feeding formula with a rating - if i remember correctly of - 20-20-38 just as growing only in vermiculite was an early hydroponics method.

In other words, what you were doing was a rough method of old hydroponics.

There are any number of modern hydro fertilizers available today with similar ratings IF hydroponic growing using their materials is what you want to do.

Of course hydroponics has moved far beyond those old methods and materials now so you will need to learn about new media as well as fertilizers for it to be effective. Check out the Hydroponics forum here for more info.

A personal observation if I may. There are many ways to grow tomatoes successfully and old remembered tastes aren't always as good as we think we remember. :)

Dave

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:55AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

A personal observation if I may. There are many ways to grow tomatoes successfully and old remembered tastes aren't always as good as we think we remember. :)

Dave
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
fully agree.
There are many ways (soil, nutrients, climates, ..) that one can grow tomatoes successfully. The TASTE issue, relating to one's memory can be perceptive, nostalgic and personal.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:04PM
lisa252(8)

thank you so much Dave- I realized it was a hydroponics method but just did not have the formulation. Now I have something to go on to try the experiment again. I know time can enhance the flavors of one's memories, but trust me, these were the best tomatoes ever! :)

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:01AM
More Discussions
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Plant Out Plans For--2015 Season
Who is getting ready for the big event : i.e, PLANT...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
T-5 Grow light question on seedlings that just germinated
I should no this by now, but seedlings with out true...
thebutcher
Concerned about Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes
I recently picked up a pakc of little tomato plants...
Noteybook
Sponsored Products
Cole & Co. 36" Designer Series Collection Reagan Vanity - Deep Merlot
Modern Bathroom
Fatboy | Fatboy®(PRODUCT)RED® Special Edition Original
YLiving.com
Atlantis Tubs 3272VN Venetian 32 x 72 x 23 - Inch Rectangular Soaking Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Geo Medallion Rug 8' x 11' - BLUE/WHITE
$1,399.00 | Horchow
Kraus Kitchen Combo Set Stainless Steel Single Gooseneck Faucet
Overstock.com