mango bacterial leaf blight

tvoneicken(9b)January 31, 2014

I bought a small mango tree close to a year ago and this fall it developed what looks like bacterial leaf blight (angular black spots) on almost all its leaves. I removed most leaves about a month ago. Given our crazy california january it's now starting to put out new shoots which look good so far. I'm wondering what to do, if anything. One option is to just keep removing leaves that show spots, although that probably means defoliating the tree except for the new shoots... I've read about copper spray but I wonder whether that also defoliates (it does with apricots as far as I can tell). Or should I destroy the tree and try to find a new one? I'm pretty sure it came with the disease because I bought another tree for a friend who has the same problem. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman62

im no expert on leaf blight, but i had similar spots on my mango.
(mine may have been whitefly / scale...)

i used NEEM oil and it seemed to help.
mine isnt that bad, so im just letting it go.
i figure spring isnt far away, sunshine should make it grow faster hopefully the new leaves will be OK

as long as you can keep it from spreading to other trees, i would keep it, and maybe just remove the real bad spots

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Yellowing of Papaya leaves
Hi all, My papaya plant has been losing it's lower...
CoryMiamiBeach
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™