Lychee tree soil question

jsvand5May 29, 2008

I just bought a lychee that I am planning to grow in a container because my area gets a bit to cold for them. I was planning on using jungle growth potting mix from Lowe's and add a bit of peat and pine bark. Does this sound like it will work? Any recommendations for a better way to go are appreciated. Anyone have an idea of the soil PH in jungle growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiojay(z6 OH)

How cold do you get? The weather trend lately will by moving lychee production further and further north.

Not sure on the jungle growth, maybe there is a website that will break down it's components and give you a PH. You could always wet down your mixture and get a reading yourself. I'm betting what you plan will work out fine...just make sure it drains quite well. You may want to add some large particle perlite to the mixture.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 7:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jsvand5

I am in a pretty cold area of FL in Ocala. I get a few nights a year where it gets down in the low 20's and last year even had a night in the upper teen's. I ended up planting it in the ground but I have a 10x10x8 portable greenhouse that I am planning on putting over it on the few cold days in the winter. I have a couple mangoe's, dragonfruit and a guava in pots that will go in there to. I am thinking about picking up another Lychee to try in a pot. I can not decide between Emperor and Hak Ip. Any suggestions? I know most sites say the emperor is best for containers, but it seems like the Hak Ip is better tasting fruit.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™