Kanap Trees

joanie_pomseed(8)May 25, 2009

Does anyone know where to find information about kanap trees? I've tried lots of search engines, but I've found nothing. Is there another name (or spelling) I should be searching for?

This started because someone I know said he has a kanap tree that's never flowered. Is it possible that the tree is a sterile hybrid of two related species? (Maybe that should go on the Botany forum.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bodiggly

Could the tree you are referring to be a Kapok Tree?

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 5:54PM
seawolves(8 MS)

Is it possible the tree is the Mamoncillo also know as the genip, we had several in our yard and one was a "male" and it never did bear fruit. here is a link with more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamoncillo

Hope this helped

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 3:38AM
joanie_pomseed(8)

Thank you. I've confirmed that it is a mamoncillo tree, also called a kenèp tree. I guess 'kanap' is an Anglicized form. Still no clue as to why it's never flowered (though I've found at least one report of a much older mamoncillo that has never flowered), but now I know where to look.

Were your trees in Zone 8, or have you moved since then?

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 6:24PM
seawolves(8 MS)

Sorry so long getting back to you. The location is in the southern Bahamas. The last hurricane thru there took out the "Man" tree but the females are still going strong and bearing well. The parrots just love the fruit. But they have stiff competion from my wife and I. I know of no way to tell the difference in the male and female other than if they bear fruit. Good luck.

Seawolves

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR...
siegel2
gribbleton
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™