Apple tree help

pepperseedFebruary 8, 2011

Can any of you South Florida apple tree growers out there tell me, when do I strip the leaves from my apple tree to trick it into dormancy? Have I waited too long and missed the boat?

I have a multigrafted apple tree I got from Bay Laurel Nursery that has just taken off. The "Fuji" graft is over 6 feet tall and I am thinking I need to cut it back some to give the other varieties a chance to thrive.

Also, I have a little "Dorsett Golden" apple on the tree that I am wondering whether I should leave to see what happens or remove it.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jb_fla(9a)

I strip the leaves in December. Dorsett Golden is a spur type apple which, as compared to your Fuji, grows slower. Apples need cross pollination so make sure you have more than one variety.

Tropical India has a thriving commerical industry. When they are done harvesting they strip the leaves and get two harvests a year from each tree. Stripping the leaves now should cause your trees to go into dormancy and fruit if they are large enough. Your harvest time will just be much later had you stripped the leaves earlier.

jb

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 12:06PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

so....does one really have to strip the leaves to make them flower and fruit? This is my first winter with my multi-grafted low-chill apple and there are still a number of leaves on each grafted section....

mangodog

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 4:57PM
pepperseed

Thanks, JB. Leaf stripping this weekend. Mangodog, what varieties do you have on your multi-graft? Mine is Fuji, Anna, Dorsett Golden and Gordon

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 7:28PM

....pepperseed.....isn't it funny - I have 4 of the 5 u mention!

.......Leaf stripping - where's your compassion? LOL

But seriously, what happens if you don't denude?

mangoperro

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 8:29PM
mullenium

I have a fuji that i've stripped back in dec.. but isnt Fuji self polinating? I wish I woulda gotten a multi grafted apple tree but its too late for that.. im stuck with the pure fuji tree for now =)

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 10:09AM

ah....mulls.....but Fuji is quite excellent and i think stays crisp and sweet longer than some other unnamed "delicious" varieties.....

oh....guys.....I recently planted the new emerging apple star - Honey Crisp (you guys have tasted that, yes? Man it's amazing!) with way more cooling hours requirement than I currently have (maybe 300?)here in Palm Springs...but....the guy I bought it from lives near L.A. and he said his tree fruits plenty every year and that the chill hours thing is a bit overblown in importance...and I had read that on a blog too....anyway I'll have to report back how it does over the years (sure, with your memory, Gary !?X?X?!)......

...and now I better scidaddle before I get kicked out of the "Tropical Fruits" forum by my peers....yeah, why did you put it in this forum, PepperSeed? Isn't there like a regular fruits forum or something....

oh....i know why....because we are growing them in a "tropical" environment, right? lol

JohnnyMangoDog

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 12:51PM
pepperseed

Hi, Johnny Mangoseed. I confess I only post on this forum because I really like the people on this forum. Even if my posts may be inappropriate to the topic. lol.
Well, I did it. Stripped my apple tree bare. It was terrifying. Even more so because I saw what might have been blossoms forming on a couple of the grafts. As my Dad used to say as he got ready to mete out the discipline, it hurt me more than it hurt her. Hopefully she will reward me with fruit and flowers in the spring.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 10:32AM

LOL, Pepperseed......I confess.....I stripped my small 1 1/2 year old multi-graft yesterday and also saw some flower buds....and yes, it does hurt (seems so unholy towards nature actually!)

It's all about dark excitement right now - what will emerge from the branches' abyss........

mango

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 12:17PM
murahilin(10 fl)

This post about apple trees got me interested in trying to grow apples again and I ended up ordering two trees from Just Fruits and Exotics last week. I ordered a Tropic Sweet and an Anna. Should be getting them by Wednesday. Anyone growing the Tropic Sweet? How is the fruit?

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 11:05PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Sheehan:

I had both at one time. They are gone now. I did get small fruits on both a couple of years. As far as quality of fruit....not bad.....but not as good as you can buy in the store....sorry to say.

Harry

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
Help with longan in pot
My longan in a pot which I put in the greenhouse about...
vanman23
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Hak Ip Lychee Blooming SoCal
Last year i decided to plant 3 lychee trees here in...
grox200
Sponsored Products
3Form Brushed Nickel 27-Inch Wide LED Semi-Flush Bowl with U-Clips and Small Til
Bellacor
Vaso Vino Ice Wine Decanter
Classic Hostess
Grand Fir Artificial Christmas Tree with Wheeled Stand - 7-1/2'
Grandin Road
Lithonia Lighting Ceiling Mounted Lighting 4 ft. Fluorescent Wraparound Lens
$57.74 | Home Depot
George Kovacs Perforated Steel 17" High Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
David Trubridge Design | Kina Pendant - Natural
$510.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™