Stinging Nettle & Dogs
Regarding stinging nettle, I know a lot of us are lovers of our little "furbabies" as Jolana refers to them, i.e. pets. A friend recently lost her miniature dachshund from some type of unknown poisoning. She always had him on a leash, and antifreeze was the first guess which was ruled out. Someone said that maybe he ate some guinea hen fowl "poop" which I poo-pooed. Well I was out to "save the day" to try and help my friend solve the mystery. HA!
Well after much discussion and research, I found the following information about STINGING WOOD (BULL) NETTLE Urtica dioica Laportea canadensis being toxic/poisonous to pets. And where she walked her little guy was in an area here on the water that had nettle around it. He could have easily scratched his belly with the stuff.
So I have been doing more research on stinging nettle, and it is mentioned as being toxic on several good websites.
(1) Purdue U website Purdue states the following about stinging nettle: ANIMALS AFFECTED: Any animal that brushes against or consumes the plant can be affected. Short-haired hunting dogs and other dogs that run through the underbrush are more likely to encounter this plant. Also there is a lot more on the website.
2) The Cornell U website says it too can be toxic to animals. See Cornell for more information.
(3) Government of Canada website Canada states: The stinging hairs readily break, allowing the secretions to enter skin. Humans receive a painful sting, followed by a small reddish swelling and prolonged itching and numbness. Initial reactions last only a few minutes but repeated contact can cause the pain to intensify and last for days. Hunting dogs in the United States were poisoned and died after massive exposure to the plants (Bassett et al. 1977, Mitchell and Rook 1979, Anon. 1982). There is more information on this website.
So if you have nettle around, make sure your pets try to avoid the stuff.