Giant Banyan Tree in Hawaii

siegel2May 26, 2014

My friend and I were hiking up the stream on the land my wife and I own on the Big Island and discovered this old Banyan tree. Don't know how old it is, but it looks ancient. Also found a nice waterfall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

They're not native to Hawaii so it wouldn't be ancient. With plenty of water they grow reasonably fast. That pool looks very inviting. Is the waterfall and stream on your property as well? Looks like you've got a great set up there.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 2:23AM
siegel2

Yes, maybe it only looks ancient and the stream gives it plenty of water.

The stream divides my 8 acres from the neighbor's property on the other side so its only half mine, but he doesn't have access to the water.

We are fortunate to have this set up also because there is a mini hydro system in the stream we had installed that helps power our home. "Free" electricity 24/7/365.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 8:57PM
tropicbreezent

You're very lucky having that. I have a creek on my place, but it criss-crosses my back boundary, so sometimes it's completely in my place, sometimes out. But it only runs in the wet season (and a bit after). It's not the ideal swimming spot though, there are some rather large sets of teeth in there (and further back in the main river). We have a very distinct wet/dry seasonal change so half the year is hot and dry, the other half hot and wet.

Having a hydro-system would be great, but wouldn't work for me. Something like a solar set up would be better, we get a lot of sun.

I've got some banyans but mostly around the same size as yours. Since they're native here there are some really huge ones not far away. They've had several hundred years to get big. I really like them, although some people really fear their roots.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 6:50AM
newgen(9 Central California)

What a great situation you have there, land in HI with a stream running through it. 8-)) Did you build your house on it too, or did the acreage come with a house?

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 6:32PM
siegel2

Thanks newgen.

We're having a house built on the property now. The stream is behind the house where the big trees are.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 1:23PM
CAST1(9b Arizona)

It must be nice having land like that.
Here in Arizona all we have is rocks and cacti.
You can't walk outside either because of how hot it is. Lol

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 10:47PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

What a great piece of property you guys found!! What are your plans for landscaping the front of the house and what else are you planning to grow on your slice of tropical paradise?
~SJN

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 12:35PM
siegel2

Thank you sultry.

We have planted over 200 fruit trees, mostly Longan and Lychee, but also everything from Durian and Mangosteen to Breadfruit and Jackfruit.

Here's a Breadfruit that I planted a couple of years ago. With well over 120 inches of rain a year, trees grown fast.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 11:52PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Wow that Breadfruit is a beauty! I envy you being able to grow tropical fruit! I have some trees that I have to bring into the gh during our few freezes (zone 9a) every winter. I have Longan that fruited really nicely last year for the first time, starfruit, dragonfruit and some others. I even have 3 crazy sausage trees (not fruit) growing in large pots lol.

I have a tiny jack fruit tree that I started from seed last summer. It seems pretty happy for now. Maybe we will live somewhere warmer by the time it grows up.
We only have just under 4 acres here but it seems like a lot less once you get all your hobbies going (plants, poultry, dh's cars etc.) LOL!
~SJN

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 5:30PM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

I'm going to guess Hamakua, maybe 1000 foot elevation?

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:11AM
siegel2

Close. Makai Pepeekeo, 375'.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™