Tomato Disease Prevention

lakedeyesMarch 31, 2012

So, I have Daconil , Southern Ag liquid copper , and Myconzeb

on hand . Which should I start using now to prevent disease ?

Or, should I alternate applications every week or so ?

Advice appreciated .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Depends on the disease. Some are fungus cause and require regular fungicide use. Others are bacterial and fungicides won't help. And some are environmental caused and require changes in the growing conditions.

So what disease are we talking about? Early Blight, Septoria Leaf Spot, Alternaria, Bacterial Spec/Spot, one of the wilts, mildew, etc. etc. See link below or you can search each of the most common ones here and get recommendations for prevention on each.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU Tomato Problem Solver

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 3:15PM
lakedeyes

Thanks for the link , Dave . I was thinking about prevention versus cure . Is that possible ?

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 3:43PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

All tomato diseases are primarily prevention oriented. There are no real "cures" once the disease is established. But there is no blanket prevention for all diseases either and if we sprayed on all the various mixes that would be needed to try to prevent everything we'd likely kill the plants. :)

Daconil fungicide sprayed weekly from the first day of plant out has a pretty good record at preventing fungus diseases or at least stalling them. But it does little for bacterial diseases and nothing for viral diseases. Copper sprays can 'help' prevent bacterial problems but does little for fungus and nothing for viral diseases. See the problem?

And there are many preventative environmental controls that folks would argue are as effective as using fungicides. Things like planting the more resistant varieties, increased spacing between plants, off-season soil treatment, positioning to improve air circulation in among the plants, heavy mulching, drip irrigation, increasing sun exposure, etc.

So again that all depends on what disease we are talking about? What diseases are prevalent in your garden, your area, your region? What have you had problems with specifically in the past?

The link I gave you gives some recommendations for each of the many diseases but sadly there is no "one for all". If there was we'd all be using it.

Dave

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™