multi var same whole PEACHES???

j-growFebruary 27, 2010

any one done this with our low chills?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

I have it with low chill plums, still early though. Two are in flower right now, two not. Will let one hold some fruit this year if it gets some. They are spaced about 3' apart in a square pattern, 3 plums and a plumcot hybrid.

Gary

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 7:15PM
pepperseed

Gary, what variety of plums are you growing? I just got a 4 in 1 multi graft from bay laurel nursery this weekend. The varieties are,Beauty, Methley, Golden Nectar and I don't remember the other - Burgundy, I think? I am concerned that the Golden Nectar won't do well, because it needs something like 400 chill hours. I figure if 2 out of the 4 make if I am still ahead of the game though. I got the 4-n-1 apple, plum & peach. If they don't survive, it will have been an expensive experiment.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 7:32PM
j-grow

gary how long have they been in the ground? did your pinnapples survive the freeze? mine all made it but they look like hell!

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 8:10PM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

pep, they are the gulf series of low chill plums. One is looking beautiful with tons of white flowers. I have a Scarlet Beauty in the front yard which is probably the same as your 'beauty'. It is excellent, self pollinating, vigorous and productive, and pretty tasty.

jgrow, they've only been growing for a couple years, got them mail order from justfruitsandexotics.com. My pinas got beat up very bad, but some survived, can't be sure yet about them all. I don't expect hardly any fruit this year from them, it's a shame. I harvested 4 or 5 dozen a couple years ago. Glad yours made it, pineapples are so easy to grow, except for these darn freezes.

Gary

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 9:00AM
j-grow

ya the freezes are depressing but i faired well this year. i may have a connection on tops if it comes thru i will let you know and you can stick a bunch in the ground. how about your blue berries are they blooming? i read nematodes torcher plems and apricots i am afriad to give them a try

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 6:39PM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

If you try plums, use a ton of organic matter and mulch to fight nematodes. My blueberries look generally happy. One is almost 6' tall, most have quite a bit of blooms, and a few fruit. The rabbiteyes haven't done much yet as far as breaking dormancy. I plan allowing about a 50% crop on the blueberries this year, then full crops afterwards.

Gary

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 8:51PM
j-grow

gary how did the closely planted stones work out this year. i am thinking of planting some peaches and nectorines in the next few weeks and am trying to decide on spacing.

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™