lychees online

andrew78(6)February 21, 2011

I have decided to givfe lychee another shot this year. I went to lychee online and found that they are now offering jackfruit on a pre order basis. I have never bought from this company and I would like to consider it but a whole jackfruit would be pretty darn expensive right? has anyone done this before?

Andrew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jsvand5

Considering the high prices they charge for their lychees I would imagine the jackfruit will be equally expensive. Personally I would not pay a high price for a fruit if you have never tried it before. It would suck to pay $75 or so (just a guess) for a fruit and you end up not liking it. I would maybe consider it if you could get it for under $40 shipped but I am willing to bet they will be quite a bit more than that.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 4:04PM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

andrew, do you have Asian or Indian grocery markets where you live? They sell jackfruit in sections for $2/pound. You can visit a few to check if they have them. Not worth that price.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 4:16PM
lycheeluva(6/7)

andrew- cant see a whole jackfruit costing less than $200 from LO including the shipping. and jackfruit is not the type of fruit that most people like to eat a ton of. its nice for a snack, but its not the type of fruit you can gorge on like mangoes or lychees or mangosteen

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 4:45PM
andrew78(6)

Thanks everybody for your input. I really appreciate it. It seems I will be doomed to never try this fruit, well anytime soon that is!

Hi Ashley,
I don't have any Asian or Idian stores in my area. I live in a small college town. I did go to an asian store in Buffalo but I didn't find any jackfruits but then again, I don't know exactly when to look either.

Hi lycheeluva,
I actually do know someone who did exactly what you desrcibed. They sat down to a small size fruit, cut it open and ate the whole thing, but it was like 3 or 4 people. I wish I could have had it sent to me but my friend didn't seem to think that the fruit will still be any good by the time it got here.

I am planning on a trip to South Florida this summer so maybe if I am lucky I will get to try it. I have a seedling that I got from Jacob. This tree will more than likely be nothing but a nice ornamental. However, this spring I will be getting a nice grafted Golden Nugget jackfruit. Jay told me that I would have a decent shot at getting this one to fruit.

Andrew

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™