tough tomato skin and stink bugs?

helenh(z6 SW MO)March 26, 2012

I just read a post about Momotaro having tough skin. Does anyone know if that would stop stink bugs. They ruin my tomatoes every summer. I don't like tough skin but a stink bug resistant tomato would be worth it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Helen, I've never heard of a tomato variety that had tough skins, or thin skins that stinkbugs couldn't penetrate and shoot in that poison that kills the cells under the skin leaving a white area and a yellow area on top of the skin.

Momotaro is called Tough Boy in Japan, but that name is after a folk hero in Japan and doesn't refer to tough skins.

However I did Google it and quite a few sites say tough skins which makes it more tolerant to cracking.

I've grown lots of varieties that had hard skins, the pre-1800 variety Roi Humberti comes to mind, and I have't the faintest idea if it was resistant to stinkbugs b'c having stinkbug problems is not an every year problem for my tomatoes.

So why not try it and plant two thin skinned varieties on either side of it and see what you get as to stinkbug problems.

Carolyn

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 2:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Thanks Carolyn. I am trying cow peas as a trap crop and if that doesn't work at least they are good for soil improvement.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Has Anybody Grown This Tomato ?
I was in HD looking for Big Beef seeds. But they did...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
and now for a quick chortle ...
damn its cold. got another five inches 'o snow …....
bragu_DSM 5
Color of Tomato Plants
As anyone that follows my posts knows, I am growing...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™