Soil Analysis Help

billyberueMarch 5, 2012

I have a 700 sq. ft. tomato garden that I have planted for the last 12 years. I had a professional soil analysis done and it reccommended 3-4 lbs Nitrogen, 1.4 lbs Phosphate, and 3.9 lbs Potassium, all per 1,000 sq. ft. I know that mine would be 70% of that but what do I physically need to do to achieve this? Or will it be more time and money than it is worth as far as the results it could bring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kevinitis(5)

Are you wanting to be organic about it or are you OK with chemical fertilizer?

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 7:18PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You will want to post this over on the Soil & Composting forum here too as this is the kind of issue that forum deals with daily.

As to what to provide to meet those requirements, there are many options available - both organic and non-organic and the costs range widely. But if you intend to continue gardening then yes, the time and money is well worth it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil forum

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 10:35AM
barrie2m_

Billy, Your question and wording leave me a little unclear of what you want to know and the replys seem to reflect that uncertainty. If you are questioning the expenditure for fertilizer for a 700 sq. ft garden it just doesn't seem logical. More likely you are questioning how to obtain a fertilizer blend to adapt to the recommendation. To that end you need to be more specific in your test results but, in reality, you only need to be in the ballpark with the application.

Keep in mind that your Nitrogen recommendation is almost always based on crop needs rather than test results; Phosphorus recommendation is usually expressed as P2O5(phosphate) as you indicated but Potassium recommendation is almost always expressed as K2O rather than just K and that distinction can affect what you apply.

What you likely should be shopping for is a 3:1.5:4 ratio blend. In real life if you can find a 10:5:10 or even a 10:10:10 fertilizer and apply at the rate recommended for N you will be in the ballpark.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™