Can birds nest fern fronds be used like Taro/banana/Ti leaves?

stanofhFebruary 8, 2012

I was wondering-we had enough frost this year to take out banana..but not Ti leaves. And the wife is cooking a Filipino dish. I cut some Ti leaves..but I 'm eyeing even larger Birds nest fern leaves that I have. Anybody know if they can be used to wrap and cook food in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
everettsky(11)

I can't comment with a scientific point of view, but as far as traditional knowledge goes, ferns are toxic and must be processed in order to be edible. I wouldn't recommend eating any part of a Bird's Nest fern or including it in any food recipe.

everettsky

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 7:34AM
stanofh

I should have explained that they would have been used as wrappings..not actually eaten. Taro leaves used as wrappings is common,but I think the leafs themselves are not edible. I could be wrong. Considering the commonness of Birds nest ferns..I thought Aussies or Pacific Islanders might have known of them used in ethnic cooking.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 2:51PM
stanhopea(10/24 CA)

In Taiwanese aboriginal communities,the leaves are picked before they uncurl fully and stir fried. Although I am aboriginal Taiwanese, I have never tried picking the leaves myself. Considering that many ferns become more toxic as they mature, I wouldn't use mature bird's nest fern leaves.

If you happen to have any Hedychium or Alpinia, their leaves make good wrappers and add a nice flavor to the food. My grandmother used to make these tamale like things with sticky rice and millet wrapped in Alpinia leaves.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 4:57AM
More Discussions
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
Sugar Apple Leaf Problem
Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™