Keitt mango

pikoraziFebruary 25, 2011

Hi,

recently my father sent me some pictures of their orchad (where i'm planting exotics when i'm on vacations) in south gran canaria. the picture of fruting keitt mangos impressed me a lot:

i told him to remove 60% of the fruit, in order to improve quality and size of the mangos. actually i like the keitt mangos in our hot and dry climate a lot :-)

another pictures:

blooming avocado (hass, i think)

cherimoya (should be 'fino de jete')

papaya (i don't know the cultivar)

i hope you enjoy..

felipe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esco_socal

OMG!!!!!! that's impressive. Looks more like a cherry tree than a mango with all them fruits on it. wow

Are all Keitts that productive or do you have a big ol'Bee hive under the tree?

Tim

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 1:56PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Felipe:

Those pictures are impressive, for sure. But, those Keitts look so unbelievably different than our Keitts. Yours have color which our lack completely.....especially at their rather young stage of development. Could the difference in climate/soil account for such a drastic difference? Are you sure you have Keitt?? I have never seen a Keitt with color...even when tree matured and ripe ready to eat.

Harry

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 2:55PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

Harry's got a point - their purplish red baby color is unseen here that I'm aware of - I think they start out just a plain green and then add some reddish tinge at the end...but my GOD so many.....now is that one tree in your first picture, or one in front and another in back...?

Boy, they sure LOVE it there - does he have any other mangos???? He's doin' everything right I'd say....

Thanks for the pics - we love em!!!!

mangoyawn

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 3:35PM
zands(10b Fl)

Too little N and too much P and K in the soil or added to it? Is that volcanic soil your father's mangoes are growing in? K makes for a more colorful fruit (Richard Campbell)

But very beautiful indeed

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 6:21PM
tropicalgrower89(10b)

The canary islands were developed by different sea volcanoes. So most likely that's volcanic soil.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 8:32PM
andrew78(6)

Wow I can see why the pics of the mango impressed you. I think they have impressed evryone here!!

I cannot commenton wether there keits or not. I wouldn't know what a keit mango looked like if one was ripe and in front of my face now!!

Everything looks so lush and happy! I would hope that you get to visit when the fruits are in season!

Andrew

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 10:46PM
pikorazi

On the picture you can see two trees. They are supposed to be Keitt. Despite of the pigmentation, the plant and fruit look like a Keitt. In fact, I don't remember to ever seen the fruit from that trees that 'red'. Here you can see ripe mangos from the same trees a few years ago:

@Mangoperro:
Yes there are other mango trees: a lot of older turpentine (cv Gomera) and seedlings. So far I added one Osteen and another NamDocMai (from Thailand), but I'm planning to get about 20 cultivars from Tenerife ;-)

@Zands:
Last December I added fertilizer, I think 19-16-16, so quite a lot N for a mango. Last season I fertilazed with a lot of N, because the trees were quite weak and small. Because of that much N, the tree hardly fruited last year.. Maybe the fertilizer caused the red pigmentation..

@Tropicalgrower:
That is right. But there isn't volcanic soil everywhere, it depends on the island. The soil in our orchad is more like loam, I think..

@Andrew:
I try fly back home three times a year. Unfortunately the last years I couldn't fly in summer, so I missed the mango seasons :-/

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 12:51PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Felipe:

The new picture you have posted showing ripe Keitts would be the most colorful ripe keitts I have personally seen (were it not for your earlier post). That's why I was so shocked to see those red fruits forming in the earlier picture. I have a cultivar that looks that red when small. Its called Mallindi and when it matures, it loses its redness and becomes very much like the fruits you have now posted. Mallindi is a very round distinctively shaped fruit and the ones in the picture are obviously not so shaped. I'll be most interested to see how these red beauties develop and change in color with maturity. Please keep us posted. And, for the record...I have never, no not ever, had a mango tree fruit so heavily such that I was even remotely thinking about removal of fruit....nevermind 60% of the fruit on a tree. But then again, I have never had a tree fruit as heavily as those pictured above.

Harry

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™