Pineapple Guava Questions

Suzi AKA DesertDanceJune 12, 2010

Last year, a dude on Ebay sold me some seeds for Pineapple Guava. I drifted them across some potting soil, stuck them outside in the shade under a sprinkler, and they all lived. In a tiny pot! Well, life happens, and I forgot about them.

Last night I looked at them, and one is about 6" tall with another growing right next to it, about 2" tall. There is one more half dead about 1" tall about 3" away, and the rest are gone.

I brought the container into the house, watered it, stuck it in plastic zip lock for a little humidity, and here are my questions.

1. Can the two that are growing together stay that way?

2. You need two plants for pollination. Will these two pollinate each other even though they are growing as one?

The lone, almost dead one, has one little green leaf, so if I can revive it, it is far enough away for separation. I'll use it for a pollinator if it lives, but...

3. These seeds came from the same plant, so do I need a different variety for pollination?

Thanks!

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyanne_2010(Z 8 / WA)

If they are from different seeds, they will pollinate each other. They should be grown in separate pots because the stronger one may choke out the other one. Even though they are from the same plant, genetically they are slightly different and so that's why seedlings can pollinate each other. Exact clones (cuttings) are 100% genetically the same so there would be pollination issues.

I say different seeds because some plants (I'm not sure if pineapple guava is one) are polyembryonic - many embryos / seedlings from the same seed (Blue Lilly Pilly is an example of poly embryonic-seeds) Think of this as identical twins (poly-embryonic) and fraternal twins (seeds from the same plant)

The other seedling may survive - pot it up separate and see. No harm in trying.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 4:05PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

So, keep the twins together, and the one that has one leaf, baby it, and see what shakes?

Suzi

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 6:52PM
nancyanne_2010(Z 8 / WA)

separate the twins - grow all three in separate containers (or in ground) and see what happens

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
Strelitzia reginae
I'm growing a strelitzia in a container in a sunny...
charles27gardener
Finally, it has bloomed!
After eight or more years, this heliconia has bloomed....
shuffles_gw
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
Please identify this vine for me!
My friend has this vine growing in her garden in Bangalore,...
tripbargains
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™