Best soil for Container tomatoes?

pastrycook3March 15, 2009

Hi, I am starting some homemade earthtainers and want to know what the best/economical soil mix is, before i buy $100 in soil. I have 48 heirloom tomatoes coming in the next week or two. So i am starting to get ready. I have read miracle gro potting soil, but what about the garden soil. Home depot has Margo's pro potting soil, how is that? Ant advice would be great!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geeboss(7)

Make sure before your purchase that you get soiless mix, i.e. potting mix not soil based potting soil. The reason is that the "soil base" potting soil holds too much water and will not be conducive to the growth of your tomato plants. If you choose potting soil please amend with Turface, composted pinebark fines and perilite. raise Your yeilds will be less than if you chose a soiless base. Raybo uses Standard MG Potting Mix 2 Cu Ft. bags in his Earthtainers if I'm not mistaken. I use amended Sta-Green Potting mix with composted pinebark fines and perilite and Turface. Then added to this mix Dolimite Lime, Boron, Sustane Fertilizer.

George

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 12:22PM
anney(Georgia 8)

Hi, PC

You don't say what size containers, but if you want to do it right with that many plants and most economically, the folks at the forum below will be able to give you lots of help. Be sure to read about aeration needs of container plants.

Geeboss is correct. You should go with a "soilless" growing medium. There are many recipes, and you can probably mix a much better blend yourself cheaper than you can buy ready-mixed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Gardening

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 12:32PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

Bagged potting soils are very expensive, so if you need a lot of mix, I buy a yard from a local nursery every year, you would need a truck or trailer to pick it up. I get composted fir bark and sheep mix, then I add some peat moss and perlite. Some nurseries sell big 3 cu ft bags of perlite.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 5:45PM
seeker11(z6)

I've had good luck with Expert Gardener potting mix, available from Wal-Mart. It's still expensive to buy in large quantities (I have 30+ homemade self-watering containers to fill), but is a lot less expensive than Miracle Gro, for example. A 2-cubic foot bag is selling for about $8.40 here.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 6:08AM
cazimere(MD 7)

Seeker, i tried the Expert Gardner mix last year with poor results. What kind of extra fertilizing regiment did you use ?

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 9:09AM
seeker11(z6)

Hi Cazimere,
I added Espoma Tomato-Tone at planting time. Then, about mid-way through the season, I started using Miracle Gro for Tomatoes, just putting a tablespoon of MG down the watering pipe while watering. I only did this every other week, so it wasn't very much. I'll probably increase that this year. My experience has been that, no matter what mix I start with, the nutrients are pretty much used up long before the season ends. The Expert Gardener stuff seems to work as well as any other mix I've used, and better than most, so I'm pretty happy with it. And I sure don't mind saving a few dollars per bag, since we need about 25 bags.
Paula

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 6:06AM
tn_veggie_gardner(7)

I would very highly recommend MG Moisture Control Potting Soil.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 11:50AM
cazimere(MD 7)

Thanks Paula : )

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Southern Belle Tomato
I am searching for history on the Southerne Belle tomato....
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™