Cordyline...how much sun can it take?

Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)June 25, 2005

I recently got a red cordyline (Ti plant) and am wanting to put it outdoors. Just how much sun can it take without burning the leaves?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sinner_gurl(LA z9& HUMID!)

I recently got a few ti plants as well. I have them on a side deck in pots for now with afternoon shade/morning sun. I put mine in the shade for a week then gradually moved them to full sun. The leaves on the red one and the peter buck burned but the kiwi one was okay. So I moved the other two into partial sun and they are doing well again.

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 3:18PM
Kameha(z9b/10a Heat:10)

I have ti plants that have been growing in full sun for 4 years now...with no signs of leaf burn. Maybe they just have to get used to it? They have reddish leaves.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 4:11AM
SUSANDALLAS(zone 8,dallas)

They can take full sun. Mine died to the ground this winter, but are now coming back. I don't know the variety, I bought them at HD. They are mostly a hot pink in color.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 3:22PM
sinner_gurl(LA z9& HUMID!)

Maybe I just need to give mine some more time to get used to it then. I really want to plant mine in the ground eventually.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 6:58PM
hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)

Aloha,

Ti plants grow in full sun with no problem. If your plant has been a house plant for awhile, though, it might need "hardening off" before it goes out to full time sun. Put it in a shady spot outside and move it more and more into the sun . Eventually it will be out in the full sun.

They grow faster and fuller with partial shade and loads of water although the soil should drain. I can't remember any ti plants growing in water like taro, but they do grow faster with more water. Wind doesn't bother them too much, but if the wind is strong they might get shredded leaves.

A hui hou,
Cathy

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 5:36AM
More Discussions
Coffee plants
Just took a close look at the two coffee trees in the...
apg4
HAVE: for trade
I have close to 2000 different kinds of tropicals for...
Angel_Hawk1975
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
What is this plant?
We just bought a house in Boynton Beach Florida that...
splats
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Sponsored Products
Troll Bathbar by Illuminating Experiences
$221.40 | Lumens
Ruffled White 3-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Tech Lighting | Single-Feed 12V 500W Surface Transformer Two-Circuit MonoRail
$853.60 | YLighting
Domitalia | Media Portable Desk
YLiving.com
Traditional Concealed 2 Outlet Twin Diverter Thermostatic Shower Valve
Hudson Reed
Fresca Torino 84" Walnut Brown Modern Double Sink Bathroom Vanity with 3 Side Ca
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™