what was your best tomato yeild?

daylilyfanatic4(Zone 6 SE NY)March 19, 2009

Hi, I was wondering what was the best yeild everyone got last year. How many tomatoes/pounds of tomatoes and what variety it was I'm tying to compile a list of good tasting heavy producing tomatoes. Since my Massive yeild last year (my first year was 1 half size green tomato I don't really have any data. I don't really care what year the more data I can get the better.

Thanks in advance

DLF

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulio

The best yield I got last year was from a hybrid plum line I made. The parentage is rather confusing but it is basically a backcross kind of thing between Olpaka and a brachytic plum. I never bothered to quantify the yield. But the plant was huge and loaded from top to bottom. It also had excellent flavor. It is an example of why hyrbids can be better than heirlooms.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 12:41PM
refidnasb

Burpee Burger, which is a variety of Super Beefsteak, did very well for me last year. Sweet Million, a cherry tomato variety produced more tomatoes than we could eat.

Since I'm in Texas, I never have a "normal" year. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy. Something always crops up.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 2:04PM
catman529(6b)

Last year was my first time growing from seed. I chose some varieties that weren't so great, but the one (Hank) was a heavy yielder.

My garden gets 5 hours MAX of sunlight per day, because it's on the side of our house and is in complete shade during the morning and late afternoon. With that low amount of sunlight, my best yield came from 3 Hank plants which gave me a plate full of 40 fruit. Of course they didn't ripen all at once, but the peak number of ripe tomatoes I had at one time was over 45. The Hank tomatoes are small though, only about 2 inches across and flattened in shape.

This year I'm trying more plants and more varieties in the same spot, and I hope to have good yields.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 5:09PM
atascosa_tx(8b)

Best producing Hybrid was BHN 640...picked it several times throughout the season...Best producing heirloom was the Rutger..another big producer that never fails me.
Every year a spot is reserved in my garden for these 2.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 9:50PM
scottydooty123(10 So Cal)

I got about 45 lbs of Black Krim off one plant in a 18 gal container (yes, I kept track!).

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 11:30PM
scottydooty123(10 So Cal)

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 11:35PM
simmran1

I got 36 lbs. from one Hard Rock plant in 2008. In 2007 I made the 'mistake' of planting two and got 42 lbs. from one plant and posted on freecycle to come and pick the other one. He picked for over half an hour and I had to give him some plastic shopping bags out of the recycler.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hard Rock tomato

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 11:51PM
daylilyfanatic4(Zone 6 SE NY)

hi, Thanks to everyone who has replied so far I know have 9 varieties of tomato on the list. My goal is to get 50. When I finish the list I will offer a free copy to anyone who wants one.

For all future replies If you can try and include the DTM aprox size of the yeild (even if you don't have numbers avg large or very large compared to your other tomatoes will work)

also if you can try and give the taste a rating from 1-10 10 being the best tomato you ever tasted and 1 being comparable to a supermarket tomato.

Thanks again!

DLF

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 9:08AM
ekgrows

I have posted these studies in a few different threads, as I find them helpful. There is data for many different types of heirloom tomatoes here over 3 years. Note that what excels some years may not the next.

I wish I could keep this type of data! Hope this helps.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/fruitveg/rep_pres/2003-4/MVVT%202003%20PDF/IL_CimmA.pdf

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/fruitveg/rep_pres/2004-5/MVVT%202004%20PDF/heirloomtomato_il_04.pdf

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/fruitveg/rep_pres/MVVT2002/MVVT2002PDF/IL_Cimmarrusti%2002.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: heirloom study

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 6:55PM
trudi_d

Last year I grew out some USDA seed stock and among the varieties was one called Early Kus Ali. I had a row of six of these and from the end of July until the end of September they cranked out buckets and buckets and buckets of tomatoes--it was stunning to me. Out of self defense I bought a big pressure canner just so I could can more jars of sauce at a faster rate. It's a fine slicer, most certainly quite yum, but the overwhelming crop necessitated that I can it or lose it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Early Kus Ali Photos, scroll down for progression.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 9:33PM
jerrya

This year I grew Indian Stripe and one plant produced 26 tomatoes (counting the 4-5 still on it) that were about 1/2 to 3/4 pound on average with a few smaller and a few "giants" including a 1 pounder I weighed. This was the most productive plant in my suburban, hot, Dallas area backyard so far. The taste is excellent in my opinion, with multiple friends/family saying it was the tomato they'd ever eaten. Our spring season is very nearly history (and fruit set a distant memory), so these numbers won't compare to a SoCal or other locations that have a full summer growing season. I'm THRILLED with this production though.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 4:53PM
catman529(6b)

I counted around 450 fruit from 15 plants that receive about 4 hours of sunlight per day. About half of those were cherry tomatoes, with the biggest producer and fastest growing variety being Black Cherry. Indian Stripe has put out a few so far, but the limited sunlight does take its toll on the production. Black Plum seems to be the best producer second to Black Cherry. The BC's had over 100 fruit per plant at 8-9 feet tall.

And I forgot to mention, all of these plants are pruned to 2-4 stems each because of space restrictions.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 5:33PM
jwr6404(8B Wa)

When it comes to yield no tommato I have ever grown has ever come close to Pale Perfect Purple,aka Purple Perfect, and it taste great also. This year I planted KBX and Kosovo and they are loaded. It appears that they will match the PPP as they are loaded with huge greenies. Going to be my best year EVER.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Solo Cups vs Ribbed Pots
Cost factor is in favor of the cups, especially if...
hoosier40 6a Southern IN
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
Sponsored Products
SomerTile Atticus Beige Stone-look Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile (Case of 7)
Overstock.com
Holi Festival Art Print
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Twist Black Decorative Holdback Twist Finial, Set of 2
$19.95 | Bellacor
100 Lizard Cocktail Napkins
$78.00 | Horchow
Solid Bronze Triple Coat Hook - Bronze Patina
Signature Hardware
Designers Fountain 9400 Apollo Vanity Light Bath Bar in Satin Platinum Finish Mu
$63.50 | Hayneedle
Graber Fabric Vertical Blinds: Brighton
Blindsgalore
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Jute Home Decorators Collection Rugs Banded Jute
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™