Can you id this plant?

phalanx_viridisJune 30, 2014

I would like to know if this plant is available here in the US; I took these pictures on a recent trip to the South Pacific, and this plant had very fragrant blooms. I have asked nurseries in my area but most of the folks there only know about the plants they carry and can't ID this plant:

I am in South Calif. in zone 9a and I am hoping it will grow here although we lack the high humidity.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OldDutch(4)

Some sort of nerine?

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 3:16PM
stanofh

Crinum of some type. More then hardy for soucal. I see them growing my local gas station in Hayward in the bay area. Different from the usual Agapanthus.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 3:18PM
petrushka

yep, it's a crinum lily. the white and burgundy are even prettier. they are widely available and grown in south fl.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 7:15PM
phalanx_viridis

GardenWeb is the BEST; thank you for your help OldDutch, stanofh, and petrushka! It is a crinum lily (crinum asiaticum) or spider lily/grand crinum lily. I never dreamed it was a crinum, I suppose I will try my local tropical nurseries. Thank you!

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 7:31PM
Evenie

Everyone's grandmother has a big stand of those down here in New Orleans. We call them swamp lilies and they like a ton of water. We dig them up and divide them in the winter, and I could probably send some rhizomes your way if you can't find any locally. They are almost never in commerce here because they are very much a pass-along plant.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
gribbleton
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Looking for wax jambu , Star fruit and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase Wax Jambu (Black Pearl) Star fruit...
poetie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™