Update on Gourd Swap

beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)May 7, 2006

By now, everyone should have their seeds. Have you started them yet? How was germination? Did you start them inside? Have you put them outside yet?

I'm just full of questions here but hope to have lots of gourds to compare for the "Giant Gourd" contest in October.

If you missed the swap but still want to try growing the Great Gourd, I'll send you seeds for a SASABE. It's not too late but an earlier start gives you more time to grow a bigger gourd.

Hope everyone has a gourdgeous summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kellyinflorida(9 Heart of Florida)

Hi Beth,
These are my Bushel babies, I took the picture this morning.

Kelly

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 11:34AM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

Wowzers, That is impressive!!! Being farthest south you have a good head start but that gives the rest of us something to shoot for. That fence is a great spot.
Just for curiosity... are squash vine borers a problem in FL? I don't know if they bore gourds too or not. The vines sure look enough alike to catch their eyes.

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 12:03PM
kellyinflorida(9 Heart of Florida)

Hi Beth,
Yes, We call them stink bugs. I grew squash a few years back and they destroyed everything. I haven't seen them around yet so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they don't find my gourds. I am also growing egg gourds and am praying they make it. I want them for easter crafts and kitchen decorations.
Another thing I am worried about is the bushels getting too big and weighing down my fence. It's a heavy duty fence but then again, so are the gourds.

Kelly

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
NEW: veggie, herb (culinary & medicinal),edible seed swap
Hello, I would like to host a seed swap for edibles...
oliviarosaline
NEW: Garden Seed Swap - Flowers, etc...
Hello, I would like to host a seed swap for flowers...
oliviarosaline
OBF March Spring A Ding Ding
Our Blooming Friends Friendship Swap Group [0BF] was...
EricaBraun
NEW: New Year's Theme Swap
It's that time of year for New Beginnings and a fresh...
mcc371
NEW: Beans, peas and legumes swap
I'll be hosting this swap. But, it's YOUR swap for...
tormato
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™