weed with bite

gabriell_gwApril 25, 2007

I recently pulled weeds from a planter and was shocked to find one covered in tiny barbs.They were in my ring finger and thumb. It reminded me of the time I picked up a prickly pear. I couldn't see them and had no way to stop the stinging. After a while, I remembered reading a hint for removing a splinter was to cover area with Elmer's glue, let dry and peel off.

When I peeled the dry glue there was still a stinging sensation but after about an hour it was gone and I was fine.

Learned two lessons. Wear gloves and look before grabbing weeds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

LOL! The story of my life! PJ

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 7:47PM
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

Yes, I am always surprised when I go to pull a thistle, and it turns out to be a stinging nettle!

Janie

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 9:28PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Boy isn't that true. And that D**N stinging nettle is the worse. It hurts so bad, and lots of people are allergic to it. And I did some research, and it can even be toxic to dogs.

And know what? There are people out there the purposely grow it because it is an herb that is purported to have healing powers. I have some of the tea that is dried, but I still would never grow it. They actually buy the stuff. Hey, come dig it out of my yard, and you can have it for free. HA!

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 9:47AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I left a patch in my Hell strip! PJ

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 6:07PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

You are a brave girl PJ. It's too much for me! And it makes me cry when it gets me! Just kidding, but it really hurts me so much that I dig it out whenever I see it.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 8:09PM
prairiepaintbrush(RedOak, TX z7/8)

I don't think I'd know a stinging nettle if I saw one.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 10:36PM
beachplant(9b)

I decided to pull weeds one day before gong to work. I was just happy as a bug pulling away and my hands started stinging, thought it was ants, didn't see any, kept pulling. My hands got worse and worse. They swelled up so much I couldn't go to work!! Gardening is dangerous work.
PJ you are very brave! That stuff will spread like crazy.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 10:23AM
prairiepaintbrush(RedOak, TX z7/8)

hmmmm.... good trick, there beachy! Oh, dear, my hands are too swollen! JDding. I bet it hurt, sorry. Did you take benidril? however you speel it. I swear, someone post a picture so I know what this stuff looks like.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 11:50PM
sally2_gw

Another trick for getting little fine thorns or spines out, such as those of cactus, is to use tape. Just put the sticky part of the tape over the area with the thorns, and pull up. Works pretty well. Tape's also good for getting pet hair and lint off of clothes, but y'all probably already know that.

Sally

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™