Does cross pollinating Cherimoya affect the fruit?

hammerhead06February 26, 2014

I have a cherimoya and an atemoya, and I was wondering if there is any benefit or downside to cross-pollinating between them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soaht(Central CA 9B)

No real experience, but from the many post about the moya and atemoya plant, is that they can be used to cross pollinate each other(after all atemoya is a sugar apple x cherimoyaa hybrid). The resulting fruits will not change, but if you plant the seeds from that cross pollinated fruits seeds, it will not be either a moya or atemoya. But, might look more on the moya side, since your back cross pollinating with a parent plant. That's why atemoya seeds are only planted for fun or rootstock purpose, but moya is usually used for rootstock, due to their better cold and wet feet tolerance. And like most hybrid fruits, atemoya seeds will not come true to be a sugar apple or cherimoya.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:13PM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

No real experience, but from the many post about the moya and atemoya plant, is that they can be used to cross pollinate each other(after all atemoya is a sugar apple x cherimoyaa hybrid). The resulting fruits will not change, but if you plant the seeds from that cross pollinated fruits seeds, it will not be either a moya or atemoya. But, might look more on the moya side, since your back cross pollinating with a parent plant. That's why atemoya seeds are only planted for fun or rootstock purpose, but moya is usually used for rootstock, due to their better cold and wet feet tolerance. And like most hybrid fruits, atemoya seeds will not come true to be a sugar apple or cherimoya.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:35PM
hammerhead06

I'm not too concerned with the seeds at this point, just curious if it would affect the taste. Guess it makes sense it wouldn't, otherwise you'd get a lot of variation from natural pollinators. Having to do my own pollination made me think a little more about it... which gets dangerous :)

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 12:50AM
soaht(Central CA 9B)

Ya, just don't over think it too much, it can get dangerous as you say ;)

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 1:50AM
More Discussions
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
when mexican mangoes reach peak season?
i have a chance to go to mexico and i wanna go when...
poch1989
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™