Gathering rain water

dracaenagrower2009June 25, 2009

Hi, yesterday it was raining real bad so I decided that I would gather rain water. I sat outside for almost an hour. I cut in half a one gallon water container(I used the cut water container to gather rain water) and had two gallons to pour rain water into. after I was done the amount of water I collected filled up the two gallons plus, another gallon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

You should get a rain barrel. If you look online you can get directions for building one yourself or there's many places that sell them.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 10:05PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Why get a rain barrel when you can make a water garden and run the downspouts to that. I keep 2100 gallons of RW lol. The downside is that since it's a watergarden can't use all the water especially with fish. What would be really hany would be a way to make it rain on your schedule not ma natures?? gary

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 6:04AM
karyn1(7a)

Gary I'd need 40' more attached to my downspouts to reach my bog and water gardens. lol

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 9:21AM
amberroses(10a)

I just got a rain barrel. It is not set up yet. I don't have gutters so I have to find a spot where water gushes off the roof. I also need to paint it a pretty color:)

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 5:19PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

karyn
Mine took 35 feet ,went underground to the above ground pond overflow from this goes to the marshgarden Even with a moderate rain I get a spectacularly clear fishpond .
One thing I need to come up with is a bypass as after a 30 inch rain not only had fish in the kitchen but two blocks away. Was surprised by that as i only collect from about a third of the roof . Entire setup only cost 400 bucks , compare that to rain barrels ??been running since 82 but as a fish pond only since 98. gary

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 4:38AM
ohiojay(z6 OH)

And of course you jackfruit, lychees, and mangos are nearby for a quick watering, eh?!! How about a couple of pics? J

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 7:00AM
More Discussions
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Finally, it has bloomed!
After eight or more years, this heliconia has bloomed....
shuffles_gw
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™