lancetilla mango question....

bfernJune 30, 2006

this is my first crop from my lancetilla mango tree. the tree was planted last year and is about 7 feet tall. three fruit are on the tree and they are huge. they each measure 9" long and 5" in diameter.

my question concerns timing the harvest. how do you tell they are mature enough to pick?

any help would be reatly appreciated.

thanks

fern

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dangrows

I noticed on my mango tree that after the fruit are large that they will ripen off the tree pretty fast. I would take one off and the fruit would be green and hard with some purple on top and white and sour inside. Then after 3-5 days of being off the tree it would turn yellow and red and become soft outside and orange and very sweet inside!

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 8:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmercado_earthlink_net

I'm thinking about purchasing a Lancetilla mango tree as a "late in season" addition to my very small yard. I also have a 2 year old Nom Doc Mai mango tree of which I'm hoping to eat from this year. I was wondering how you like your Lancetilla fruit compared to other cultivars such as Glenn, Haden, etc. and also how tall has your tree grown? Are there things you may not be happy with with your tree? Thanks in advance!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
moving a giant giant BOP
I'd like to move a well established giant bird of paradise...
Bettina Hooper
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™