mandevilla/insect problems

siobahnkJune 18, 2006

i recently recieved a mandevilla as a gift, and i have been having trouble finding any specific info on it. i'm getting flowers that are showing white spots on them that look like someone simply decided to rub off or erase some of the pink, and i wonder if that particular part of the flowers is not getting enough sun? i've also been having problems with pests, they just seem to love the insecticide i sprayed on them, i had no ants until i sprayed it, so now i have ants on top of red spider mites and aphids. can anyone recommend a good brand of insecticide? also i've got what looks like some more vines growing from the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot. i'm guessing maybe it needs repotted, and i've read that mandevillas like to be rather tightly potted, so i'm not quite sure what to do. i don't want to take it out to look if they are sensitive to being unpotted, if anyone has some experience with these plants i would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I know that there's aphids when I start seeing the ants. They eat the "dew" produced by the aphids. It's possible that the insecticide you sprayed caused the blooms to discolor. I don't use any type of insecticides but do use beneficial insects. I buy thousands of ladybugs and release them in the garden towards the evening on the plants that are succeptible to aphid infestation. They take care of the pests right away and lay eggs so I always have a good supply of ladybugs. I also rub off aphids when I see them without a ladybug nearby. Spraying with a hose a few times a day will help keep them in check too and my mandevillas love the extra water on their foliage and blooms. I also buy mantises for the larger pests.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Pineapple suckers
Maybe 16-18 months old. Last Fall(?) I got 5 pups around...
Richard (chuggerguy)
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
Desert Rose leaf tips dying
I've had this desert rose (my favourite plant) for...
plantrookie
Orange Flame Justicia bug
I have this on my orange flame plant. It has a hard...
sorie6
Blue Ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora)
Around this time of the year, the Blue Ginger blooms...
siegel2
Sponsored Products
Madison Lamp Post
Grandin Road
Backless Eucalyptus Bench
$149.99 | zulily
Square Base RGB-pixelpro-bullet-sq-8 RGB PixelPro LED Bullet
EnvironmentalLights.com
Chicology Cameo Double Rail Sliding Panel Set - DRSPCC
$93.28 | Hayneedle
Artisan Copper Patio Torch with Medieval Wall Bracket - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Bamboo 4-Slat Composite Deck Tiles (Set of 11)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™