Raja Puri Harvest

bananafanFebruary 6, 2014

My Raja Puri made it through this Winter with no damage on its fruit. Thankfully, no freeze down here this season. It's sure a long wait ... 4 months back (a third of a year), but it's worth waiting and I'm sure glad no disruption by cold weather conditions either. The fruit isn't too sweet; just a little tangy and acidic. It's just the right taste for me.

Here are some pictures:

#1 - Before harvest

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananafan

#2 - After harvest

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 8:35PM
bananafan

#3 - Close up

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 8:37PM
bananafan

#4 - Some of the skin split, so I peeled them up and serve them for breakfast with cereal.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 8:39PM
bunti(7)

amazing...

I am planning to have rajapuri this year.. but i don't have place in my yard. Planning to grow in container.

I read that it fruit in 9 months? is it so...?

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 3:30PM
bananafan

Bunti,

If you're planning to get one, I would recommend you to grow it in the ground. If planted in the pot, it will take a long time to fruit if it ever fruits at all ... In your planting zone, if you should decide to plant it in the ground, plant it close to your house. It helps to offer a little more protection in the Winter.

Raja Puri is one variety I know that will fruit readily when it's mature. It will take about 2 years for a newly planted Raja Puri to mature and to send out pups before fruit production. Once established, you can expect some banana harvest. Now in my yard, I've replaced all my other bananas with only Raja Puris.

Of course, I really would like to know from some of you here in the forum who have success with the other varieties. I've heard that Ice Cream is also cold hardy. I still have them in the ground. They have been there for 7 years already ... so far the growth rate is slow and they're barely thriving not to mention about the fruit production. Maybe there's a secret to taking care of them that I don't quite know yet. Other than that, I give the same fert (fish emulsion) to all my bananas. Those that fruit just respond well to whatever I gave them. Go figure!

Anway, I wish you well with your Raja Puri planting. I hope you'll have success planting them in zone 7.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 6:15PM
surya55_gw

Bananafan- you did an excellent job! You made me remember my childhood. Thx for sharing your photos and expertise.

Nerry

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
when mexican mangoes reach peak season?
i have a chance to go to mexico and i wanna go when...
poch1989
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
Yellowing of Papaya leaves
Hi all, My papaya plant has been losing it's lower...
CoryMiamiBeach
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™