What is this plant

Athenian(USDA 10B/Sunset 22)June 30, 2012

This is a plant from my neighbor's yard. It looks like some sort of tropical but we don't know what it is. We'd like to identify understand how to propage it.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

It's an Erythrina, probably E crista-galli, common name is "Coral Tree".
It is a medium sized tree but quite spreading tree, and sometimes semi-deciduous - it also develp thorns as it matures. I suggest your neighbour read up on it in case it is ultimately too big for their yard or otherwise likely to cause problems. I do agree though it's a beautiful tree in flower.
They are in the leguminousae family - have seeds in pods that look like beans (don't eat them) so they can be propagated that way when the pods finally ripen and split. I expect they could also be struck from from semi-hardwood cuttings though I haven't tried it myself

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 2:14AM
Athenian(USDA 10B/Sunset 22)

Thank you very much. The USDA photo for the crystal-galli looks exactly like the plant next door. My neighbor didn't plant it and she's been in her house for over 30 years so perhaps the dry habitat has stunted its growth. I would never have dreamed it would turn into a tree; it's in a shaded spot and is just a shrub.

I was thinking about trying to propgate with a cutting but now I think I'll just wait for the seeds.

Athena

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:52AM
alisonoz_gw

I can imagine that it might grow quite nicely as a shrub, sort of dwarfed down if restricted. Or grown in a big tub.
I live near a river flood-plain in sub-tropical part of Queensland, Australia. These trees - or a very similar one which is Erythrina fusca, were planted a lot as forage food and also shade, for cattle (dairy) which is about all the land was used for until "civilization" caught up. They make a wonderful sight, in flower, rising up out of the fields of long grass.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 3:16AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Would think that if it's 30 years old and has not spread it's sterile or climate doesn't allow germination.
They are VERY invasive in 10 florida. I'd go for a cutting Seems like a great plant for your area !! They are beautiful gary

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 5:46AM
Athenian(USDA 10B/Sunset 22)

My neighbor had some work done last year that inadvertently opened up the area around the plant; this is the first year she's been aware of it.

Another friend took a cutting the other day.

Having been forewarned, I think I'm going to collect some seed in the fall and plant them in a barrel.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 1:56PM
diane_v_44(Z6)

It does really look an interesting plant
Hope you will post if the seeds grow or cuttings or what

Will watch to see if I can find this plant anywhere Would like to give it a try

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 9:49PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I have Erythrina crista-galli - mine has lots of thorns on the branches, which it doesn't appear that the one pictured does - not sure what it is, but I don't think it's E. c.g.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
Id please of vine with pretty flowers
Guessing it's a tropical as it cannot take the cold....
nanzjade_z5
Anyone know a source for Wercklea ferox? (picture)
Saw this at the Dallas arboretum a few weeks ago and...
davissue_zone9
It may be too late, but what it happening to my Avocado tree?
So my little tree is about ten months old. The whole...
anielskim
Bird of Paradise 'Mandella's Gold' Flower
After years of waiting, my Mandella's Gold BOP has...
siegel2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™