Is it advisable to put more indoor plant inside my house/bedroom?

markthienJune 13, 2007

Hi there,

I am living in tropical zone and I came across to this site : http://www.zone10.com/tech/NASA/Fyh.htm , which recommend which indoor plant is best for cleaning the indoor air.

IS it advisable to put more indoor in my living room or bedroom? Will the indoor plant release carbon dioxide? if yes, when? does indoor plant need oxygen ?

Thanks & Regards,

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Plants take in carbon dioxide during the day and release oxygen. At night they do the opposite. The amounts involved really shouldn't be an issue unless you have a severe illness requiring you to need extra oxygen, and I'm not sure even then it would matter.

There is some research suggesting that plants absorb some of the chemicals that are part of indoor air pollution, such as chemicals that are released from particleboard furniture, new carpeting, etc. Again, you'd have to have a LOT of plants to make a big difference, but it couldn't hurt either.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 12:03AM
markthien

Hi watergal,

So does it means that the more indoor plant I put in my house I will get cleaner indoor air?

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Stufftolet

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 12:18AM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

There is scientific research that suggests this is true, yes.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 9:39AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
have heard it suggested that the reason the Earth has so much Oxygen as opposed to thee other planets is because of the respiration on plants.. Since the Earth's atmosphere is
80 percent nitrogen and 19 percent oxygen all the plants in the world are living on that slim 1 percent.lol
That suggest that it takes a lot of plants to make a difference lol gary

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 10:30AM
spiritualcipher

"The Taiga forest, on the edge of the Arctic, is a silent world of stunted conifers. A third of all trees on Earth grow here and during the short summer they produce enough oxygen to change the atmosphere."

-Planet Earth (a really great documentary)

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 12:38AM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

If you can still fit into the room with the new plant placed in it's new position, then it's ok to put more plants in the room! But if you have to spray yourself with non-stick cooking spray just to fit yourself in the room, you have too many plants in there. LOL
Sandy

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Deformed leaves on strelitzia
Hello I was wondering if someone could please help...
LaurenLouise
Worsleya Procera seeds
I have been looking for Worsleya Procera seeds for...
jadesga1
New Ficus Tree Plant
Happy New Year my new Ficus tree plant
kings_rose
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Pre made soil mixes for indoor tropical plants
What are the best soils that are pre bagged? Currently...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™