Is this a flower bud? (strelitzia reginae)

Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)July 7, 2008

One of my Strelitzias is sending out something that doesn't look like a leaf, and i am wondering if it is the awaited flower spike. It's grown at least four inches in two days. Here are a couple of pics:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hi there CC....Looks like twin leaves to me, and big fat juicy healthy ones at that. I hope I'm wrong though!! A useful thing I learnt from GWeb is that new leaves emerge from the sheath of the previous leaf, flower spikes appear from between two other leaves, (like yours *seem* to be doing)and not usually the latest ones plus they have more sheaths over them, not just the slightly spiral line of the leaf edge...hope this explains what I'm trying to say. Here's a pic of my emerging flower spike to help clarify what I'm trying to put into words, it will show you and you can see the growth rate I have here in the UK. I can't wait for it to open. I'm also finding it grows a LOT more slowly than a leaf spear.
this pic was taken on 23rd April when I first noticed it

this one was taken on 5th June through the g/h window hense the bad reflection

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 5:53AM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

Thanks greenclaws! I get what you're trying to say. It makes sense. A double leaf huh? Interesting. Is that common?

On another topic, aren't you the one who posts about the washingtonia robustas on the palms forum? If so, how are those faring? i have a couple volunteer seedlings that i've potted up. I'll keep them in pots until i find what to do with them. I get a couple dozen seedlings in my yard every year.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 2:07PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hi again CC, errrrr, yes 'tis me from the palm forum, and plumeria forum also.
Firstly, I think and hope they look like 'regular' twins as opposed to 'Siamese' ones, that WOULD be unusual for sure!! I have no idea if this is a regular occurence as I honestly don't know a great deal about BoP's. Maybe it's pushing out 2 leaves as it's well fed and happy? Have always admired them and been somewhat envious of folks that grow them. This was a puny little guy of less than 9inches with sickly yellow leaves that I've nursed back to health from the £1 reject trolley in a DIY store. Taken me several years to get it to around 5ft and now its rewarding me with the promise of flowers.
My Washy R's are doing well thanks, most have 6 leaves and they are just beginning to divide. Jay's and Topher's have already passed that stage it seems, I need more sun and heat really as the weather here for July is not good, just had thunder and torrential rain...again. They grow real fast, much faster than my other seed sown plams I find. Told to pot on when roots show as they will put on much more growth in bigger pots.
Regards, Gill.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Very unusual interesting plant starting to flower
I've posted this elsewhere but thought I'd put it here...
tropicbreezent
Curry Tree Fruits
Murraya koenigii, aybody ever harvest the seeds from...
Eggo
Pineapple suckers
Maybe 16-18 months old. Last Fall(?) I got 5 pups around...
Richard (chuggerguy)
Dracaena Marginata getting TOO tall
i have a Dracaena Marginata that has grown quite tall...
TJG911
Broadleaf Tropical Indoor Plant ID Help
There is a picture of a large leaf plant, it appears...
Brett Reilly
Sponsored Products
Artisan Flower Garden Area Rug (7'9 x 11')
Overstock.com
Bloom Kids Fan by Craftmade
$444.60 | Lumens
Slamp | Marie Fleur Floor Lamp
$910.00 | YLighting
Ivy Ledge Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Pink Flower Butterfly Hooded Towel Set
$11.99 | zulily
Rizzy Home Applique 3D Plum Floral Bloom on Gray Decorative Throw Pillow Multico
$34.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™