Plant suggestion?

mauirose(11)July 16, 2007

Need to fill in a gap between a burgundy Queen Emma Lily (crinum) and an areca palm (dypsis lutescens-kind of yellow). Had a few crotons in there which looked great but suffering now-not enough sun-just a few hours in the morning. Should go about 6-7' high, willing to head back occasionally to keep in bounds.

Can't wait to hear your suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
longwoodgradms

Since you're in Hawaii, I'd think a natural choice would be a mixture of both deep red and variegated pink/cream/red/light green ti (Cordyline fruticosa). They can be decapitated to propagate, and the stumps rejuventate to lower their heights.

White Candles (Whitfieldia elongata) flowers in white on glossy green leaves in very little sun. Grows to 6'

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 6:22PM
longwoodgradms

I was out pruning today, and it dawned on me that perhaps many of the cane or cane-like shrub begonias would be great in your predicament.

Begonia aconitifolia or B. reniformis or the very flowery B. coccinea, B. valida. Attractive leaves and flushes of flowers, and your spot seems to have jsut enough direct sun to encourage flowering without burning leaves.

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 1:43PM
mauirose(11)

I thought about ti but wanted more of a leaf shape contrast with the lily. Begonia might be very nice however, maybe even a mix a few of the rounder leaved ti in towards the back...thanks

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 4:07AM
More Discussions
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
Albuca spiralis seeds
Hello! Does anyone know from where can I get Albuca...
xylocyb
Strelitzia Nicolai help please
I have just bought one and I know they are huge and...
stockard43
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!
Absolutely HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR...
siegel2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™