Pruning Keitt mango trees

grungeelJuly 5, 2012

Hello all. I have about 12 Keitt mango trees, that are approximately 4 years old. I need a simple way of pruning the trees, to encourage flowering next January. Some of the trees are 16 feet tall, and have never blossomed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

are they grafted or grown from seeds? if grown by seed they take a long time to bloom. if they're grafted, then maybe some fertilizer.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 5:26AM
jamesg(konahawaii)

Yours are big enough to flower, so I have a question for you. Do you water them? The trick to getting mangoes to flower is to allow their roots to dry out. Mangoes are extremely drought tolerant and need a couple of months of dry before they will bloom.
I 'prune' by cutting out the center vertical in the late fall or winter, and leave 4 or 5 main branches spreading out. Not necessary until the trees are taller, but I prefer my trees to be 25' or less tall. And lower is better come harvest time.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 5:59PM
407Bob(9b)

This is a pic of a mango from my keitt this past summer. I planted the tree at the beginning of spring, the tree was four feet tall, and it bloomed nicely. I had several mangoes, this pic is the largest one. It was delicious and easily sliced because of the thin seed. I use mushroom compost, rabbit manure, chicken manure, and leaf compost. I would also like to mention that my Keitt is now starting to bloom and its December! I know the weather has been unusually warm the past couple of Weeks but I thought the tree wouldnt bloom again until around April or May. rsmith28hi@yahoo.com

This post was edited by 407Bob on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 21:38

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 9:23PM
grungeel

Most of my Keitt trees have fruits now. At least one of the trees has fruits that are larger than 1 pound size, although it is just the month of June. The next time I visit my farm, I will get some pics and post them here.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Papaya: Sex of Flowers or Tree?
I have a 1 yr. old papaya tree now in bloom. I have...
meilie
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
Strelitzia flower stalk?...Hope so!
Was having a tidying session in the g/h and decided...
greenclaws UKzone8a
Psidium Guajava
Hi, I am trying to source some tropical plants, but...
paulwba
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™