Too Late For Tomatoes From Seed?

plantinellen(5)March 22, 2012

I am out of state on family business and haven't been able to start my in-house tomato planting the way I normally do in the latter half of March. Am I pushing it by planting tomatoes from seed April 10th-ish (when we return home)? I like having a variety of tomatoes in my garden, and you just can't find a lot of diversity in nursery-grown tomato plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Coconut_Head(5b)

Zone 5 is it? I think you will be fine, Most of the seeds I plant say 4-6 weeks prior to planting out, so you should probably be right in the correct timeframe there. I am assuming you plant out in late may?

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 2:43PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No problem at all IMO. You should still be able to plant out at your normal time. They just may be a bit smaller transplants but they will quickly catch up once transplanted. The worst that could happen is that you first fruit set may be a little delayed depending on the weather.

Dave

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 4:03PM
ejacqui

IMO it's not "too late" for tomatoes from seed until you get into May/June! You may end up planting out smaller plants, but that's no big deal. Better than nothing, right?

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 4:05PM
Bruce123(7)

I have direct seeded tomatoes with success in early June in zone 7. I usually set out plants about May 1st, so any head start you can give inside should be fine.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 4:26PM
keski(6)

I am in zone 6 and haven't started my mater seeds yet. Last year I did start in March and they got a bit bigger than I wanted before I could plant them, so I am waiting until this weekend to start. One thing I do is presprout the seeds. They germinate very quickly and you can save time by doing that. I put the seeds on a damp paper towel inside a plastic baggie. Maters sprout within a couple days or so.
Keski

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
Soil help needed please!
Hi there. After a number of seasons of successfully...
bustergordon
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Big Beef Vs. Better Boy
Recently I was searching a tomato variety. Accidently...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™